A Printer for CCD Images

  • Kevin Dixon
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
      Good evening folks:

      Now that I am reaching a point where my images are worth printing, I am
      looking for a recommendation as to a good printer for CCD images. All
      suggestions welcome. What can I expect to pay for a printer with such
      capability? Thanks.

      Clear skies,
      Kevin Dixon
      ksbtk@...
    • Ugly Dog
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
        I like my Epson 1270 a LOT!! $400
        Ugly Dog

        --- Kevin Dixon <ksbtk@...> wrote:
        > Good evening folks:
        >
        > Now that I am reaching a point where my images are worth
        > printing, I am
        > looking for a recommendation as to a good printer for CCD
        > images. All
        > suggestions welcome. What can I expect to pay for a printer
        > with such
        > capability? Thanks.
        >
        > Clear skies,
        > Kevin Dixon
        > ksbtk@...

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • William D. Carroll
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
          Kevin

          There are many good color printers out there to use.
          Cannon,Epson and HP all make great color printers.
          generally you can expect to pay at or under $200 for one
          My best suggestion is to go to a computer store and get print
          samples and compare them, What I or other like in print
          may not be what you like. Biggest word of advise though
          is don't skimp on the paper, this is what make them all shine
          A premium glossy paper cost and $1 sheet and is worth it

          You can pay more but your usually paying for a name
          not quality of print.

          Many people like the one with individual ink cartridges I don't
          but again that's a personal preference.

          William 'Doug' Carroll
          Arlington, Texas
          10" LX200 #128258
          Genesis CCD #0041
          N 32 40'39.2 / W 097 08'40.8
          ICQ# 110222075
          Email: ccdguy@... <mailto:ccdguy@...>
          Web Site: http://carroll.dynip.com <http://carroll.dynip.com/>

        • Eric Ayres
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
            I use an HP deskjet 895CSE professional series. I like it...when I got it,
            it was $499.00 But I think they are cheaper now...

            Regards,

            Eric

            ????????????????>???????????????????????>???????????????????????????????????
            ?>?>??????????????????????I like my Epson 1270 a LOT!! $400
            Ugly Dog

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
              I have two photo-capable printers here, and both work very well. One is an
              HP Photosmart 1215, which does 8.5x11 pages and is what my wife uses for
              printing family photos. I have a HP 1220C, which will do pages up to 13x19,
              and although I mostly use it for 8.5x11, I have done the larger images on
              occasion when I have had a really good image to print.

              Both of the HP models have been incredibly easy to use and maintain. They
              are also very good business (B&W) printers for everyday printing needs.

              I have heard that from a purely color printing standpoint that the Epson
              printers are a bit better than the HPs, but that the HPs win hands down on
              the business printing needs. So if you just want to do color printing, the
              Epsons sound like the way to go; if you need dual use, go with the HPs.

              However: I have heard of more setup, configuration, and operational problems
              with the Epsons than with the HP printers. Nothing horrendous, but the HPs
              appear to be exceptionally reliable.

              Ron Wodaski
              The New CCD Astronomy
              http://www.newastro.com

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
                Hey Doug,

                I agree with you on the paper thing. I have some Epson 100-sheet packs of
                glossy paper which are good for general-purpose printing, such as handing
                out images when I do talks. I like the HP premium photo paper for really
                fancy printing, however. Fairly large cost difference between the two, but
                the budget Epson paper really does a nice job for the price. It was about
                $35 for 100 sheets of glossy. But the HP premium paper does a better job.

                How are things going on the Genesis front these days. It's been a while
                since we talked. There were a number of interesting things you and others
                were working on. What's the current state of the project? I won't be able to
                try one myself for a while yet (I don't exactly lack for things to do right
                now!), but I am interested to know how it's going, and what's currently
                available.

                Ron Wodaski
                The New CCD Astronomy
                http://www.newastro.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
                  Hey Ron,

                  Rick is putting the finishing touches on the New Power Supply.
                  latest news is it work either 120/240v or 12v in and provides
                  all the voltages to drive Genesis. built-in closed loop
                  cooling system with regulation to .1c settable in .5c steps
                  Can't wait for it. On my front I'm working on my DRO for the
                  NGF-S. I've decided to switch out the DC motor for a Stepper
                  got some nice one on ebay 1350:1 reduction on a 48 step stepper
                  more than my encoder can read. working on the LCD display now
                  got it fired up and working, adding the Backlight and Contrast
                  control now, (settable via the menu)

                  also saving to purchase a Atmel Internet kit and I'm going to
                  tackle making a Ethernet setup for genesis, backburner though
                  until I get the Atmel kit and maybe some after that.

                  ah, to many projects not enough time :)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
                    Thanks for the update. I can relate to the "too many projects" thing quite
                    easily, especially with my server crash today. Good think I had backups,
                    I'll tell you!

                    Ron Wodaski
                    The New CCD Astronomy
                    http://www.newastro.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
                      Oh yeh,
                      I saw you message and my first thought was about backup's
                      I'm a MainFramer by day (OS/390,IMS,DB2,WebSphere,Unix Services and more)
                      and Backup's are the Holly Grail :)

                    • richardl@well.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
                        I have an Epson Photo Stylus printer. In general it does an excellent
                        job printing color photos and such. It is a very nice printer and the
                        drivers work fine. It uses 7 different inks (I think) to bet a richer
                        color gamut.

                        But I've not been able to get good results printing astroimages. I
                        will have to experiment with the many different settings. I think it
                        may be because there is so little or no color in the images. And you
                        have to start with a really good grayscale.

                        If anyone has any tips please share them.

                        - Richard Lawler

                        --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
                        > I have heard that from a purely color printing standpoint that the
                        Epson
                        > printers are a bit better than the HPs, but that the HPs win hands
                        down on
                        > the business printing needs. So if you just want to do color
                        printing, the
                        > Epsons sound like the way to go; if you need dual use, go with the
                        HPs.

                        > However: I have heard of more setup, configuration, and operational
                        problems
                        > with the Epsons than with the HP printers. Nothing horrendous, but
                        the HPs
                        > appear to be exceptionally reliable.
                        >
                        > Ron Wodaski
                        > The New CCD Astronomy
                        > http://www.newastro.com

                      • bert katzung
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 6, 2001
                          Hi Richard:
                          I've used an Epson Photo Stylus and more recently a Photo EX printer with
                          good results (at least the prints look reasonably like the web shot colors).
                          I haven't done anything special, but I do find that Kodak Premium Glossy
                          paper and the Kodak-recommended settings (a list of recommended settings for
                          different printers comes in the box with the paper) give me the best
                          results. I have a couple of sentences about printing on my website at the
                          bottom of the page at http://www.astronomy-images.com/instruments.htm
                          Hope this helps...
                          Bert

                          Bert Katzung
                          katzung1@...
                          www.astronomy-images.com

                          > I have an Epson Photo Stylus printer. In general it does an excellent
                          > job printing color photos and such. It is a very nice printer and the
                          > drivers work fine. It uses 7 different inks (I think) to bet a richer
                          > color gamut.
                          >
                          > But I've not been able to get good results printing astroimages. I
                          > will have to experiment with the many different settings. I think it
                          > may be because there is so little or no color in the images. And you
                          > have to start with a really good grayscale.
                          >
                          > If anyone has any tips please share them.
                          >
                          > - Richard Lawler
                          >
                          > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
                          > > I have heard that from a purely color printing standpoint that the
                          > Epson
                          > > printers are a bit better than the HPs, but that the HPs win hands
                          > down on
                          > > the business printing needs. So if you just want to do color
                          > printing, the
                          > > Epsons sound like the way to go; if you need dual use, go with the
                          > HPs.
                          > >
                          > > However: I have heard of more setup, configuration, and operational
                          > problems
                          > > with the Epsons than with the HP printers. Nothing horrendous, but
                          > the HPs
                          > > appear to be exceptionally reliable.
                          > >
                          > > Ron Wodaski
                          > > The New CCD Astronomy
                          > > http://www.newastro.com

                        • d48s84t
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 7, 2001
                            Thanks to all you folks for the great input on color printers. I am heading
                            off to Best Buy today to check out their prining capability. I am going to
                            take a CD with some of my images and see if I can get them to print them for
                            me. Again, thanks.

                            Clear skies,
                            Kevin
                            ksbtk@...

                            From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>

                            > I have two photo-capable printers here, and both work very well. One is an
                            > HP Photosmart 1215, which does 8.5x11 pages and is what my wife uses for
                            > printing family photos. I have a HP 1220C, which will do pages up to
                            13x19,
                            > and although I mostly use it for 8.5x11, I have done the larger images on
                            > occasion when I have had a really good image to print.
                            >
                            > Both of the HP models have been incredibly easy to use and maintain. They
                            > are also very good business (B&W) printers for everyday printing needs.
                            >
                            > I have heard that from a purely color printing standpoint that the Epson
                            > printers are a bit better than the HPs, but that the HPs win hands down on
                            > the business printing needs. So if you just want to do color printing, the
                            > Epsons sound like the way to go; if you need dual use, go with the HPs.
                            >
                            > However: I have heard of more setup, configuration, and operational
                            problems
                            > with the Epsons than with the HP printers. Nothing horrendous, but the HPs
                            > appear to be exceptionally reliable.
                          • Rick S.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 7, 2001
                              I have to agree that HPs are some of the most reliable printers. I have
                              owned Cannon, HP and Epson printers in the past and prefer the HP for its
                              reliability. That being said, I am considering purchasing a printer to be
                              used mainly for digital photos. Can anyone suggest a current HP model that
                              would do a excellent job of printing high quality prints? I am open to
                              other printer. I like Epson, but every one I have ever owned would go
                              through a lengthy process of cleaning its its jets every single time I tried
                              to submit a print job. It seemed like a good 20-30 sec gyration every time.
                              This was annoying to say the least.

                              Thanks,

                              Rick

                              > I have two photo-capable printers here, and both work very well. One is an
                              > HP Photosmart 1215, which does 8.5x11 pages and is what my wife uses for
                              > printing family photos. I have a HP 1220C, which will do pages up to
                              13x19,
                              > and although I mostly use it for 8.5x11, I have done the larger images on
                              > occasion when I have had a really good image to print.
                              >
                              > Both of the HP models have been incredibly easy to use and maintain. They
                              > are also very good business (B&W) printers for everyday printing needs.
                              >
                              > I have heard that from a purely color printing standpoint that the Epson
                              > printers are a bit better than the HPs, but that the HPs win hands down on
                              > the business printing needs. So if you just want to do color printing, the
                              > Epsons sound like the way to go; if you need dual use, go with the HPs.
                              >
                              > However: I have heard of more setup, configuration, and operational
                              problems
                              > with the Epsons than with the HP printers. Nothing horrendous, but the HPs
                              > appear to be exceptionally reliable.
                              >
                              > Ron Wodaski
                              > The New CCD Astronomy
                              > http://www.newastro.com
                            • Eric Ayres

                                > I have two photo-capable printers here, and both work very well. One is an
                                > HP Photosmart 1215, which does 8.5x11 pages and is what my wife uses for
                                > printing family photos. I have a HP 1220C, which will do pages up to
                                13x19,
                                > and although I mostly use it for 8.5x11, I have done the larger images on
                                > occasion when I have had a really good image to print.
                                >
                                > Both of the HP models have been incredibly easy to use and maintain. They
                                > are also very good business (B&W) printers for everyday printing needs.
                                >
                                > I have heard that from a purely color printing standpoint that the Epson
                                > printers are a bit better than the HPs, but that the HPs win hands down on
                                > the business printing needs. So if you just want to do color printing, the
                                > Epsons sound like the way to go; if you need dual use, go with the HPs.
                                >
                                > However: I have heard of more setup, configuration, and operational
                                problems
                                > with the Epsons than with the HP printers. Nothing horrendous, but the HPs
                                > appear to be exceptionally reliable.
                                >
                                > Ron Wodaski
                                > The New CCD Astronomy
                                > http://www.newastro.com

                              • Rick S.
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 7, 2001
                                  Ron,

                                  You must be on the net 24/7. It seems like you always respond to questions
                                  at all hours of the day or night. That's good for the rest of us!

                                  Rick

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 7, 2001
                                    The Photosmart models seem to be ideal for digital images. You can even put
                                    a memory card from most cameras right into the printer and print a contact
                                    sheet, and then choose the image(s) you want to print. There are two models;
                                    I have the 1215 and it's a wonderful printer.

                                    Ron Wodaski
                                    The New CCD Astronomy
                                    http://www.newastro.com

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 7, 2001
                                      Not quite, but my hours are pretty variable. I'm working on the final edits
                                      for the book, so I'm at the computer a lot. When I finish a section, I need
                                      a mental break, and reading the group emails is a great way to do that.

                                      Now when the moon goes away, I just might make some time for imaging again!

                                      Ron Wodaski
                                      The New CCD Astronomy
                                      http://www.newastro.com