RE: [ccd-newastro] HELP-Processing of M16

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2001
      It's probably just that Maxim is less flexible than Photoshop in how it
      handles and processes the image histogram. I wouldn't use MaxIm to make the
      adjustments if Photoshop is handy.

      The image you posted basically has its histogram messed up, and looks like I
      would expect it to look from MaxIm, and that's why I switched to Photoshop.
      Maxim attempts to do this automatically, and it just can't figure it out
      well enough to do that. Heck, Photoshop's auto level routine would probably
      mangle it just as badly if not worse. Levels and curves, that's how I do
      everything related to histogram adjustments.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
        I've done my best to come up with a fair set of policies for everyone who
        already has an order for the book or web version. You can read the details
        here:

        http://www.newastro.com/newastro/order2.asp

        Email will go out shortly offering options to confirm, upgrade, or cancel
        orders at the new prices. Here's the info on new policies:

        email with details of the available options to everyone who placed an order.
        Everyone will have a chance to either confirm their order at the new price,
        revise their order, or cancel. Here is a synopsis if what's happening:

        Book only - The book price increases from $24.95 to $49.95. You get a
        printed copy of the new, larger book as well as full web access. If you do
        not want web access, you can request a CD-ROM version of the web content.

        Web only - The new initial web subscription includes both the eBook version
        and new features. The $9.95 you already paid will be credited against the
        $29.95 cost for the expanded web content, for a net cost of $20. If you
        choose not to continue your web subscription, it will expire 6 months after
        publication. You can also upgrade to the printed book with credit for your
        $9.95 payment.

        Book plus web - If you ordered both the book and the web subscription, you
        have already paid $9.95 for the web portion. You will get the printed book
        and a one-year initial web subscription (including the new features) from
        date of publication for an additional $40.

        Due to the increase in weight from the larger page size, shipping costs are
        now $7.50 for US mail. Foreign and rush shipping will be billed at actual
        cost. There is no shipping charge for the eBook version.

        If you have any questions, let me know.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com
      • Frank J Mraz
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
          Ron,

          I'll opt for the book only unless you think there is a better
          alternative.

          Frank

        • Dan and Carol
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
            Hi Ron, I have the original 9.95 web sub. but you can definately put me
            down for the Book! Bueno, Dan NM
            > I've done my best to come up with a fair set of policies for everyone who
            > already has an order for the book or web version. You can read the details
            > here:
            >
            > http://www.newastro.com/newastro/order2.asp
            >
            > Email will go out shortly offering options to confirm, upgrade, or cancel
            > orders at the new prices. Here's the info on new policies:

            > email with details of the available options to everyone who placed an
            order.
            > Everyone will have a chance to either confirm their order at the new
            price,
            > revise their order, or cancel. Here is a synopsis if what's happening:
            >
            > Book only - The book price increases from $24.95 to $49.95. You get a
            > printed copy of the new, larger book as well as full web access. If you do
            > not want web access, you can request a CD-ROM version of the web content.
            >
            > Web only - The new initial web subscription includes both the eBook
            version
            > and new features. The $9.95 you already paid will be credited against the
            > $29.95 cost for the expanded web content, for a net cost of $20. If you
            > choose not to continue your web subscription, it will expire 6 months
            after
            > publication. You can also upgrade to the printed book with credit for your
            > $9.95 payment.
            >
            > Book plus web - If you ordered both the book and the web subscription, you
            > have already paid $9.95 for the web portion. You will get the printed book
            > and a one-year initial web subscription (including the new features) from
            > date of publication for an additional $40.
            >
            > Due to the increase in weight from the larger page size, shipping costs
            are
            > now $7.50 for US mail. Foreign and rush shipping will be billed at actual
            > cost. There is no shipping charge for the eBook version.
            >
            > If you have any questions, let me know.
            >
            > Ron Wodaski
            > The New CCD Astronomy
            > http://www.newastro.com

          • darrell L. crofford
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
                If all 500 existing orders have to come through email, I think it would bury
                me. <g> I have added shopping cart buttons to the information, and anyone
                with an existing order can upgrade by using the shopping cart system. This
                will also make sure that the order goes on the credit card you want it to go
                on; some orders are old enough that the cards may have expired! It sure has
                been a long road, but it's great to be getting to the end, I can tell you
                that.

                Thanks for all your support. The page for upgrading existing orders is:

                http://www.newastro.com/newastro/order2.asp

                NEW orders should still be made here:

                http://www.newastro.com/newastro/order.asp

                Ron Wodaski
                The New CCD Astronomy
                http://www.newastro.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
                  Hi Ron:
                  I believe I originally ordered the printed and the web version but not the
                  CD. I would like to stick with that order. My credit card has not changed.
                  Do I have to "upgrade" at the website or do nothing at this point?
                  Thanks,
                  Bert

                  Bert Katzung
                  katzung1@...
                  www.astronomy-images.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
                    As long as I get the information, I'll take care of it. It's easiest for me
                    if folks use the upgrade page, but email will work, too. Consider yourself
                    upgraded.

                    Ron Wodaski
                    The New CCD Astronomy
                    http://www.newastro.com

                    > If all 500 existing orders have to come through email, I think it would
                    bury
                    > me. <g> I have added shopping cart buttons to the information, and anyone
                    > with an existing order can upgrade by using the shopping cart system. This
                    > will also make sure that the order goes on the credit card you want it to
                    go
                    > on; some orders are old enough that the cards may have expired! It sure
                    has
                    > been a long road, but it's great to be getting to the end, I can tell you
                    > that.
                    >
                    > Thanks for all your support. The page for upgrading existing orders is:
                    >
                    > http://www.newastro.com/newastro/order2.asp
                    >
                    > NEW orders should still be made here:
                    >
                    > http://www.newastro.com/newastro/order.asp
                    >
                    > Ron Wodaski
                    > The New CCD Astronomy
                    > http://www.newastro.com

                  • David Gardner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 6, 2001
                      Hi Ron...

                      I'm not able to log on to the web site.

                      I may have the wrong user name/password. Sorry to bother you about this.
                      I'm looking forward to the book.

                      Regards,

                      David

                      David Gardner M.D. Ph.D.