Re: [ccd-newastro] NGC 3628 from Chiefland

  • Chris S
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2004
      That is a fabulous image Charlie.

      Chris

      Charlie Warren <Astrofx@...> wrote:
      It has been over two years since I imaged this one, and I hardly did
      it justice back then. It is encouraging to go back and compare
      results.

      I should have put another hour of Lum in on this one, and some more
      color as well. This was the night with less transperancy, and NGC3628
      is not the brightest of targets, at least compared to it's companions.

      Here is the new version:

      http://hometown.aol.com/astrophotofx/NGC3628.html

      118 minutes: 70 Lum (14x5) unbinned, 16 each (4x4) RGB binned 2x

      For comparison here is my version from 2 years ago.

      http://hometown.aol.com/astrofx/ngc3628.html

      This should give any brand new imagers lurking out there great hope!
      I still have a long ways to go and I trust I will be equally
      encouraged going back to view the newer image two years from now.

      Regards,

      Charlie

    • Adam Stuart
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2004
        Hi Charlie:

        Great-looking image! Do you use a mirror lock on your SCT? How often do you have to adjust focus during a typical imaging session?

        Adam
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Astrofx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2004
          Thanks for the comments Randy
          I did get a good data set and my processing is starting to come together a
          bit.
          It took me longer to process than gather the data.
          Of course as my brother says: "Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a
          while." <grn>

          Charlie

          In a message dated 5/1/2004 12:54:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          rj.nulman@... writes:
          Doesn't get better than this! The detail, smoothness, everything is
          just perfect..best I've seen.

          Randy
          http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

        • Astrofx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2004
            Thanks Bob
            I used your fine image of this galaxy for a color gage. The color on yours
            looks as natural as any I could find on the web.

            Charlie

            In a message dated 5/1/2004 1:33:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            b.holzer@... writes:
            Hi Charlie:

            Great image of a great galaxy!

            Bob

          • Astrofx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2004
              Thanks Adam
              Yes, I use the mirror lock. I refocus often now. It has made a big difference.
              When temperatures are changing, or the OTA is cooling down, I I do it
              frequently.
              Other than that, once things stabilize I will still do a touch up every 45
              minutes to an hour and with each filter change. I do not have to touch the focus
              knob though, just a touch up with the NGF-S

              Charlie

              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2004
                Thanks Chris!

                Charlie