RE: [ccd-newastro] Images from WSP

  • Steve Reilly
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
      Very excellent images Bob. A very fruitful trip.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
        A very nice collection of images from the star party Bob!
        Thor's Helmut is one of the better images that I have viewed of it.
        All worthy of framing.

        Charlie

        In a message dated 3/1/2004 8:07:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        b.holzer@... writes:
        Of course I just had to image Omega Centauri and Centaurus A. Both are
        still very tough as they don't get very high, even in the Keys. At least
        they are bright and don't need hours of exposure. A little easier were
        some more northerly objects, M81 and Thor's Helmet.

      • Mike Sandquist
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
          Beautiful work Bob,
          I really like my FSQ-106 + SXV-H9 combo as well.
          Rick K. in Scottsdale AZ has some knock your socks off images
          on his web pages, thats the reason I'm shooting with that combo.
          Exciting stuff!
          Mike Sandquist

          > I'm just back from WSP. The weather wasn't great with only 2 1-2 good
          > nights for imaging, but it was still a great star party.
          >
          > Of course I just had to image Omega Centauri and Centaurus A. Both are
          > still very tough as they don't get very high, even in the Keys. At least
          > they are bright and don't need hours of exposure. A little easier were
          > some more northerly objects, M81 and Thor's Helmet.
          >
          > M81 - TEC6 @ f8.15 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
          > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/m81tec6wsp.jpg
          > Thor's Helmet - FSQ-106 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
          > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/thorwsp.jpg
          > Omega Centauri - FSQ-106 LRGB 26:18:20:28:
          > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/ocwsp.jpg
          > Centaurus A -TEC 6 @ f8.15 LRGB 44:10:12:17:
          > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/catec6wsp.jpg
          >
          > Sorry they won't blow Mark away, as they were taken with an SXV-H9.
          >
          > Bob
          > www.BobHolzer.com
          >
          > ... guardi le stelle
          > che tremano d'amore
          > e di speranza...
          > Turandot Act II

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Randy Nulman
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
            Bob,
            Those are 4 great images! I love the detail, depth, and color of the
            M81 image. I think the Thor is very subtle and esoteric. The
            Southern shots are great as well.

            (sorry if this is a duplicate post, the first one didn't seem to take)

            Congrats,
            Randy

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer" <b.holzer@c...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Folks:
            >
            > I'm just back from WSP. The weather wasn't great with only 2 1-2
            good
            > nights for imaging, but it was still a great star party.
            >
            > Of course I just had to image Omega Centauri and Centaurus A. Both
            are
            > still very tough as they don't get very high, even in the Keys. At
            least
            > they are bright and don't need hours of exposure. A little easier
            were
            > some more northerly objects, M81 and Thor's Helmet.
            >
            > M81 - TEC6 @ f8.15 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
            > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/m81tec6wsp.jpg
            > Thor's Helmet - FSQ-106 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
            > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/thorwsp.jpg
            > Omega Centauri - FSQ-106 LRGB 26:18:20:28:
            > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/ocwsp.jpg
            > Centaurus A -TEC 6 @ f8.15 LRGB 44:10:12:17:
            > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/catec6wsp.jpg
            >
            > Sorry they won't blow Mark away, as they were taken with an SXV-H9.
            >
            > Bob
            > www.BobHolzer.com
            >
            > ... guardi le stelle
            > che tremano d'amore
            > e di speranza...
            > Turandot Act II

          • ngt202000
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
              Hi Bob,

              Good to see someone take on Thors Helmet at the WSP! It was tough to
              do any imaging on the clear nights with the wind but you posted some
              very good work here using the SXV.

              Best regards, Brian

              wrote:
              > Hi Folks:
              >
              > I'm just back from WSP. The weather wasn't great with only 2 1-2
              good
              > nights for imaging, but it was still a great star party.
              >
              > Of course I just had to image Omega Centauri and Centaurus A. Both
              are
              > still very tough as they don't get very high, even in the Keys. At
              least
              > they are bright and don't need hours of exposure. A little easier
              were
              > some more northerly objects, M81 and Thor's Helmet.
              >
              > M81 - TEC6 @ f8.15 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
              > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/m81tec6wsp.jpg
              > Thor's Helmet - FSQ-106 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
              > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/thorwsp.jpg
              > Omega Centauri - FSQ-106 LRGB 26:18:20:28:
              > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/ocwsp.jpg
              > Centaurus A -TEC 6 @ f8.15 LRGB 44:10:12:17:
              > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/catec6wsp.jpg
              >
              > Sorry they won't blow Mark away, as they were taken with an SXV-H9.
              >
              > Bob
              > www.BobHolzer.com
              >
              > ... guardi le stelle
              > che tremano d'amore
              > e di speranza...
              > Turandot Act II

            • Bob Holzer
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                Thanks Mark:

                If it helps, you can borrow my lum from Centaurus A. I'd like to see
                your rgb though, Cent A is pretty bright and it may just work out fine.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Thanks Richard:

                  I've tried several times to do Centaurus A from Chiefland, but it was a
                  no go. It's such a great galaxy everyone needs to make a trip down south
                  for it. I'll try to add to it at next year's WSP.

                  Bob

                  > I'm just back from WSP. The weather wasn't great with only 2 1-2
                  good
                  > nights for imaging, but it was still a great star party.
                  >
                  > Of course I just had to image Omega Centauri and Centaurus A. Both
                  are

                  Those are four wonderful images, Bob. I particularly like the
                  Centaurus A shot, that is really a totally awesome shot.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Bob Holzer
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                    Thanks Steve:

                    I was really worried about coming home without anything as the 2 good
                    nights were the last 2 nights. Even so, WSP is a wonderful star party.
                    If only I could remember more from the great image processing workshops
                    :(

                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                      Thanks Charlie:

                      Will I see you at Chiefland in April?

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                        Thanks Randy, greatly appreciated! The one tip I did remember from the
                        workshops was to use the Fade Minimum tool after a Minimum filter. This
                        really helped in getting the stars right on the Thor's Helmet, not too
                        few or too bloated. A friend was next to me with a 20" Starmaster as I
                        was shooting Thor's Helmet, so I tried to emulate in the image what we
                        saw thru the eyepiece. I think it worked well and I like this style of
                        understated processing. Obviously, I didn't do the same to M81 but
                        really like the way that came out. Thanks again.

                        wrote:
                        > Hi Folks:
                        >
                        > I'm just back from WSP. The weather wasn't great with only 2 1-2
                        good
                        > nights for imaging, but it was still a great star party.
                        >
                        > Of course I just had to image Omega Centauri and Centaurus A. Both
                        are
                        > still very tough as they don't get very high, even in the Keys. At
                        least
                        > they are bright and don't need hours of exposure. A little easier
                        were
                        > some more northerly objects, M81 and Thor's Helmet.
                        >
                        > M81 - TEC6 @ f8.15 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
                        > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/m81tec6wsp.jpg
                        > Thor's Helmet - FSQ-106 LRGB 120:18:20:26:
                        > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/thorwsp.jpg
                        > Omega Centauri - FSQ-106 LRGB 26:18:20:28:
                        > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/ocwsp.jpg
                        > Centaurus A -TEC 6 @ f8.15 LRGB 44:10:12:17:
                        > http://www.bobholzer.com/images/catec6wsp.jpg
                        >
                        > Sorry they won't blow Mark away, as they were taken with an SXV-H9.
                        >
                        > Bob
                        > www.BobHolzer.com
                        >
                        > ... guardi le stelle
                        > che tremano d'amore
                        > e di speranza...
                        > Turandot Act II

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • aajohnah
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                          Bob

                          Was just trying to do it last night then see I have no Darks for 480 2x -10
                          will have to get them in the next day or so
                          <g>

                        • Roth Ritter
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                            Top notch as usual Bob, sounds like another star party success. You
                            made a good choice of targets with Omega Centauri and Centaurus A
                            while you were down there. M81 has exceptional detail with the TEC.
                            I'd love to be able to image again myself one of these days when the
                            weather is agreeable.

                            --

                            Roth Ritter
                            Astrophotography: http://www.rothritter.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                              Oh, sorry, those pesky sbig darks are at it again <g>

                              > If it helps, you can borrow my lum from Centaurus A. I'd like to see
                              > your rgb though, Cent A is pretty bright and it may just work out
                              fine.

                              > Bob

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Randy Nulman
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                Hi Bob,
                                Can you (or Ron if you're out there) explain to me what the Fade
                                Minimum tool does and why to use it after the minimum filter? Hope
                                Ron finishes his book soon...I need to update my skills with these
                                new techniques <g>.

                                wrote:
                                > Thanks Randy, greatly appreciated! The one tip I did remember from
                                the
                                > workshops was to use the Fade Minimum tool after a Minimum filter.
                                This
                                > really helped in getting the stars right on the Thor's Helmet, not
                                too
                                > few or too bloated. A friend was next to me with a 20" Starmaster
                                as I
                                > was shooting Thor's Helmet, so I tried to emulate in the image what
                                we
                                > saw thru the eyepiece. I think it worked well and I like this style
                                of
                                > understated processing. Obviously, I didn't do the same to M81 but
                                > really like the way that came out. Thanks again.
                                >
                                > Bob

                              • Matt Thomas
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                  Randy,

                                  It is actually the "Fade" tool. It shows up after any filter (I
                                  think) operation as "Fade <filter>". It reduces the opacity of the
                                  filter effect from 0% to 100%.

                                  It works just like the opacity setting on the layers pallet.

                                  So if you did a minimum filter, then a "Fade Minimum" to 50%, it would
                                  reduce the effect of the filter to 50% that of the original result.

                                  Hope this makes sense.
                                  -Matt Thomas
                                  http://www.astromatt.com/

                                • Wodaski - Yahoo
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                    The Fade tool creates a mixture of the image before and after the filter.
                                    For example, if you apply a minimum filter of radius 1, a 50% Fade is _sort
                                    of_ like a half-pixel radius. But it's not a true half-pixel, but to the eye
                                    it is close enough.

                                    Ron Wodaski
                                    The New CCD Astronomy Book
                                    http://www.newastro.com/ipb

                                    wrote:
                                    > Thanks Randy, greatly appreciated! The one tip I did remember from
                                    the
                                    > workshops was to use the Fade Minimum tool after a Minimum filter.
                                    This
                                    > really helped in getting the stars right on the Thor's Helmet, not
                                    too
                                    > few or too bloated. A friend was next to me with a 20" Starmaster
                                    as I
                                    > was shooting Thor's Helmet, so I tried to emulate in the image what
                                    we
                                    > saw thru the eyepiece. I think it worked well and I like this style
                                    of
                                    > understated processing. Obviously, I didn't do the same to M81 but
                                    > really like the way that came out. Thanks again.
                                    >
                                    > Bob

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Randy Nulman
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                      Thanks Matt,
                                      I get it <g>.

                                      Randy

                                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Matt Thomas <matt@s...> wrote:
                                      > Randy,
                                      >
                                      > It is actually the "Fade" tool. It shows up after any filter (I
                                      > think) operation as "Fade <filter>". It reduces the opacity of the
                                      > filter effect from 0% to 100%.
                                      >
                                      > It works just like the opacity setting on the layers pallet.
                                      >
                                      > So if you did a minimum filter, then a "Fade Minimum" to 50%, it
                                      would
                                      > reduce the effect of the filter to 50% that of the original result.
                                      >
                                      > Hope this makes sense.
                                      > -Matt Thomas
                                      > http://www.astromatt.com/
                                      >
                                      > Tuesday, March 2, 2004, 2:58:06 PM, you wrote:
                                      >
                                      > RN> Hi Bob,
                                      > RN> Can you (or Ron if you're out there) explain to me what the
                                      Fade
                                      > RN> Minimum tool does and why to use it after the minimum filter?
                                      Hope
                                      > RN> Ron finishes his book soon...I need to update my skills with
                                      these
                                      > RN> new techniques <g>.
                                      >
                                      > RN> Thanks,
                                      > RN> Randy
                                      >
                                      > RN> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer"
                                      <b.holzer@c...>
                                      > RN> wrote:
                                      > >> Thanks Randy, greatly appreciated! The one tip I did remember
                                      from
                                      > RN> the
                                      > >> workshops was to use the Fade Minimum tool after a Minimum
                                      filter.
                                      > RN> This
                                      > >> really helped in getting the stars right on the Thor's Helmet,
                                      not
                                      > RN> too
                                      > >> few or too bloated. A friend was next to me with a 20"
                                      Starmaster
                                      > RN> as I
                                      > >> was shooting Thor's Helmet, so I tried to emulate in the image
                                      what
                                      > RN> we
                                      > >> saw thru the eyepiece. I think it worked well and I like this
                                      style
                                      > RN> of
                                      > >> understated processing. Obviously, I didn't do the same to M81
                                      but
                                      > >> really like the way that came out. Thanks again.
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Bob

                                    • aajohnah
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                        Bob,

                                        Yeah I know you do not know what darks or flats are
                                        oh well
                                        <g>

                                        Mark
                                        > Oh, sorry, those pesky sbig darks are at it again <g>

                                      • Randy Nulman
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                          Thanks Ron,
                                          I misunderstood Bob's description. When he said "fade minimum tool"
                                          I thought it might be something new in CS specifically related to the
                                          minimum filter. I just got CS and haven't used it much so I'm not
                                          sure what's new and different compared to PS6. I definitely need to
                                          go to one of your seminars and get "caught up". Coming to S. Calif.
                                          soon?

                                          Randy

                                          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>

                                        • Wodaski - Yahoo
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                            I don't do the "road show" any more - with the house in New Mexico, I'm
                                            going to be doing monthly classes, however. I'll still do the four-day
                                            classes at least quarterly, but I'm going to expand the class offerings
                                            greatly, including many more short and beginner classes.

                                            Ron Wodaski
                                            The New CCD Astronomy Book
                                            http://www.newastro.com/ipb

                                            wrote:
                                            > The Fade tool creates a mixture of the image before and after the
                                            filter.
                                            > For example, if you apply a minimum filter of radius 1, a 50% Fade
                                            is _sort
                                            > of_ like a half-pixel radius. But it's not a true half-pixel, but
                                            to the eye
                                            > it is close enough.
                                            >

                                            > Ron Wodaski
                                            > The New CCD Astronomy Book
                                            > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          • Bob Holzer
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                              Hi Roth:

                                              As soon as summer rolls around I guarantee you'll like the Santa Fe over
                                              Atlanta. So what is the verdict regarding Santa Fe for imaging? Darker
                                              but colder for sure, but what else?

                                              Bob

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                                Exactly!

                                                The Minimum filter, before the fade, removed most of the stars
                                                completely. Actually, it left me little strings all over the image. The
                                                Fade let me control how much of the stars to put back into the image. I
                                                went to 75%, for the minimum of stars that were well formed. It really
                                                let the Helmet stand out from the previously too starry background.

                                                Bob

                                                It is actually the "Fade" tool. It shows up after any filter (I
                                                think) operation as "Fade <filter>". It reduces the opacity of the
                                                filter effect from 0% to 100%.

                                                It works just like the opacity setting on the layers pallet.

                                                So if you did a minimum filter, then a "Fade Minimum" to 50%, it would
                                                reduce the effect of the filter to 50% that of the original result.

                                                Hope this makes sense.
                                                -Matt Thomas
                                                http://www.astromatt.com/

                                                RN> Hi Bob,
                                                RN> Can you (or Ron if you're out there) explain to me what the Fade
                                                RN> Minimum tool does and why to use it after the minimum filter? Hope
                                                RN> Ron finishes his book soon...I need to update my skills with these
                                                RN> new techniques <g>.

                                                RN> Thanks,
                                                RN> Randy

                                                RN> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer" <b.holzer@c...>
                                                RN> wrote:
                                                >> Thanks Randy, greatly appreciated! The one tip I did remember from
                                                RN> the
                                                >> workshops was to use the Fade Minimum tool after a Minimum filter.
                                                RN> This
                                                >> really helped in getting the stars right on the Thor's Helmet, not
                                                RN> too
                                                >> few or too bloated. A friend was next to me with a 20" Starmaster
                                                RN> as I
                                                >> was shooting Thor's Helmet, so I tried to emulate in the image what
                                                RN> we
                                                >> saw thru the eyepiece. I think it worked well and I like this style
                                                RN> of
                                                >> understated processing. Obviously, I didn't do the same to M81 but
                                                >> really like the way that came out. Thanks again.
                                                >>
                                                >> Bob

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                                              • Bob Holzer
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                                  Totally untrue!

                                                  I'm trying to get back into taking flats. I took flats at WSP but they
                                                  didn't seem to match correctly so I didn't use them in my posted images.
                                                  I've just learned how to scale them so I may go back and try them on the
                                                  M81 image to see how well they work.

                                                  But what's a dark?

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • Roth Ritter
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                                                    >Hi Roth:
                                                    >
                                                    >As soon as summer rolls around I guarantee you'll like the Santa Fe over
                                                    >Atlanta. So what is the verdict regarding Santa Fe for imaging? Darker
                                                    >but colder for sure, but what else?
                                                    >
                                                    >Bob

                                                    Darker, dryer, and high altitude. Windy, dusty, and snowing right now :(

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 3, 2004
                                                      Bob,

                                                      A dark is something that takes up lots of hard drive space when you are
                                                      making a Master of 30 or more files

                                                      Mark