Re: [ccd-newastro] Digest Number 49

  • ak55c@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2000
      Hi all,
      I just purchased a Nikon 990 digital camera and was wondering if
      anyone has had any sucess using such a camera to image the sky.
      I was thinking it might be OK on bright targets such as planets.
      I have a C-11 and well, I probably am going to give it a try.

      Clear Sky's
      Scott
    • John Gleason
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2000
        William Phelps has done some very nice work with the Olympus equivalent on
        solar prominences and the planets. Don't know if he has a web site. Don't
        forget the moon!

        jg

        --- John Gleason
        --- dvj@...
        --- EarthLink: It's your Internet.
      • Arpad Kovacsy
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2000
          Hi Scott, I've been using the Nikon Coolpix 950 for
          astrophotography. It's very easy and the results are quite good on
          the moon and planets. Your CP990 should do even better. To see the
          pics I've managed to take with my CP950/Celestron refractor combo,
          just go to:

          http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/PassportPl/csillagkep

          Thanks, Arpad Kovacsy

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2000
            The digital cameras work very well for bright objects -- the moon is a good
            first target (big, easy to find <g>), and Jupiter and Saturn are getting
            higher in the sky this fall.

            Longer exposures tend to be noisy due to the lack of cooling on consumer
            cameras, but if you have a large aperture (and the C-11 qualifies), consider
            imaging some of the brighter objects -- open and globular clusters could
            turn out surprisingly well, though not as detailed as with a true astro CCD
            camera. M42 is also worth a shot or two. You might get some interesting
            results with color in double stars, also.

            Ron Wodaski
            The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2000
              ak55c@... wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > I just purchased a Nikon 990 digital camera and was wondering if
              > anyone has had any sucess using such a camera to image the sky.
              > I was thinking it might be OK on bright targets such as planets.
              > I have a C-11 and well, I probably am going to give it a try.
              >
              > Clear Sky's
              > Scott

              Scott,

              Jack Egan here, down in Kent WA. My daughter Meg & I have used a Nikon950
              piggybacked on the LX200 10". Unless you get a firmware adaptation for the
              camera (I don't yet have that located) you are stuck with the camera
              computer's "best guess" time, which is fairly long and CAN give you star
              images, but you sometimes have to break off the exposure by holding your
              hand in front of the lens while you switch the thing OFF! For best results,
              store the image in lossless TIFF format, although the high res JPGs also
              give images.

              To bring out the stars (from what appears to be a solid black field), use
              PhotoShop or other graphics program, brightness and CONTRAST (primarily)
              adjustments, to bring up the stellar grains.

              We obtained some star images of the brighter stars (Deneb, Vega, Altair;
              Polaris; Jupiter and Saturn), but these were all wide-field. Didn't see
              much of the fainter magnitudes at all. This may be remediable if we can
              obtain the firmware programming to permit very long exposures. We have NOT
              yet tried eyepiece adapters nor direct to scope coupling, so maybe you can
              let us know how that works out. We are into a cloudy cycle here now,
              combined with visiting kinfolk, so don't expect to try that for a week or
              two.

              Happy Photon Captures.

              Jack