Crazy idea - guide with a digital camera?

  • Michael Fulbright
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
      I was just thinking about a guide camera and was wondering if you could
      use any of the available digital cameras as a guidecam? I think some of
      the available models have small enough pixels for good pixel scale, and
      a nice FOV so you could find a guide star. And doing a several second
      exposure doesn't require any pin lifting.

      What I'm not sure about is if any of the cameras allow subframe readout,
      meaning you can read out less than the entire frame.

      Just a crazy idea - comments?

      Michael Fulbright
      mike.fulbright@...
      http://msfastro.net
    • Wodaski - Yahoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        Not aware of anything like this. Certainly the mainstream software programs
        don't support this option.

        Good question about subframes; haven't seen a camera yet that supported it.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy Book
        I was just thinking about a guide camera and was wondering if you could
        use any of the available digital cameras as a guidecam? I think some of
        the available models have small enough pixels for good pixel scale, and
        a nice FOV so you could find a guide star. And doing a several second
        exposure doesn't require any pin lifting.

        What I'm not sure about is if any of the cameras allow subframe readout,
        meaning you can read out less than the entire frame.

        Just a crazy idea - comments?

        Michael Fulbright
        mike.fulbright@...
        http://msfastro.net