New Image - M81 with RCOS and AP CCD Reducer

  • Derrick Farley
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 3:29 PM
      We had a few breaks in the clouds a week or so ago here in England so I
      was able to grab enough data for this image of M81. This object is a
      bear to process, I imaged at f/7 to get a more pleasing FOV but the
      faster speed caused the core as well as several bright field stars to
      bloom; if I reduced the sub-exposure time the faint spiral arms were far
      too noisy. I gathered as much data as I could between the clouds and the
      resultant good SNR helped with the processing. Anyhow I think the final
      image has some merit when considering the conditions with a sub-exposure
      FWHM of 2.7 arc seconds in murky, moisture-laden air. I posted the first
      processing attempt on the SBIG group a few days ago and received some
      good suggestions on improvements from Rob Gendler and others, the
      version below incorporates those suggestions.

      RCOS 12.5 at f/7(ish) using the AP 0.67X CCD Reducer, ST10XME, and
      AP1200GTO. Luminance 11 X 600s unbinned, RGB 5 X 600s each binned 2 X 2

      You can go directly to the image at
      <http://www.lh-dome.demon.co.uk/Latest_Images/Bodes%20Nebula.htm> or
      click on the thumbnail at
      <http://www.lh-dome.demon.co.uk/latest_images.htm>

      You will also find links on the "Latest Images" page to images of M82
      and NGC 3184 imaged in the same period

      Suggestions for improvement welcome

      Regards

      Derrick
      --
      Derrick Farley
      http://www.lh-dome.demon.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 3:35 PM
        Fantastic

        Trev

        _____

        I've stopped 71 spam messages. You can too!
        One month FREE spam protection at www.cloudmark.com
        <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1>
        <http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnet?v1> Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the
        fight against spam!

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cac4khh/M=243273.4326031.5516772.1261774/D=eg
        roupweb/S=1705082829:HM/EXP=1075764684/A=1750744/R=0/*http:/servedby.adv
        ertising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1075678284392877> Click to learn
        more...

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4326031.5516772.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=352464920>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Astrofx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 3:11 AM
          M81 & 82 are stunning images Derrick.
          Assuming you just imaged these some of these, you need to update the
          acquisition date on the site. It reads; 2003.

          Regards,
          Charlie

        • Derrick Farley
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2 3:32 AM
            Thanks for the comment, Charlie.
            Also thanks for pointing out the acquisition date error, this is now
            fixed

            Derrick

            --
            Derrick Farley
            http://www.lh-dome.demon.co.uk/
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2 9:02 AM
              Stunning Work Derrick!

              I would love to have seeing that good this time of year- for me the
              jetstream is overhead all the time when it's clear outside.