Lunar Images

  • Kevin Dixon
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2001
      Good afternoon:

      Since the moon will be directly overhead after sunset tonight, I
      thought it would be interesting to try to capture some images of our
      nearest neighbor in the solar system.

      Are there any recommendations for successful lunar images?

      Clear skies,
      Kevin Dixon
      ksbtk@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2001
        The ST-237 will be good for the job; it has exposures down to a millisecond,
        I believe. You should have to down about that low to avoid over-exposure. If
        you need more attenuation, a moon filter, or a rotating polarizing filter,
        will do the job effectively. If you are close, then your built-in blue
        filter should give you a little extra bit of attenuation.

        Focus is challenging. If there is any turbulence, it will drive you crazy as
        you try to focus. <g> Try to find the rough range of best focus, and then go
        for the middle of that. It would be interesting to try CCDSoft's @Focus on
        the moon.

        If you have it, don't forget to set the lunar tracking rate on your mount.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2001
          May targets galore; this is a great month!!!

          New stuff rising in the east:

          M57

          Foxhead cluster (gorgeous in color)

          Crescent Nebula, Pelican Nebula, NA nebula, Cocoon Nebula - these are fairly
          dim but if you can handle long exposures, you can get some incredible
          results. Fabulous in color!

          Veil Nebula - Huge, huge, huge. Also very faint. A real challenge.

          M27 (Dumbbell Nebula) - A bright, easy target. A good first color challenge.

          M13 is nice and high; this bright globular is easy.

          Deep target: Seyfert's Sextet. Very tiny, needs a very long focal length.

          Nearly overhead at midnight:
          M101, M51, M63, M94, M3, M64, M106, M53

          Still high enough to image: M81 and M82

          West: Virgo, virgo, virgo!
          M60, M59, M58, M89, M90, M91, M87, M88, M100, M85 M86, M84, M99, M98, M49,
          M61 - plus many rich galaxy fields for wide-field deep shots (30 minutes or
          more).

          Setting just after midnight, last chance:
          M95, M96, M105, M66, M65 (last two two-thirds of gorgeous Leo Triplet that
          includes NGC3628).

          South:
          M104, the Sombrero. Bright, easy target with a very sharp dark dust lane.

          Antennae - the longer your exposure, the better, but there is some detail
          even in wide field shots. A great target for long focal lengths and long
          exposures.

          Globulars Galore! M80, M4, M5, M107, M9, M19, M62, M7, M68, M69, M22, M28,
          M54, M55, M70, M75, M72, M2, M30

          Open clusters: M6, M7, M73

          Late rising (3am or later): Sagittarius goodies, from north to south:
          M11 (Wild Duck)
          M26 (open cluster)
          M16 (Eagle Nebula)
          M17 (Omega Nebula)
          M18 (Open Cluster)
          M24 (Little star cloud)
          M23 (open cluster)
          M25 (open cluster)
          M21 (open cluster
          M20 (Trifid Nebula)
          M8 (Lagoon Nebula)

          Very late targets (June targets):
          Neptune
          Uranus
          Ceres
          Barnard's Galaxy (galaxy behind Milky Way)
          RA: 19h 44m 54.0s Dec: -14?48'00"

          An incredible number of targets to choose from this month. Have fun!

          Ron Wodaski
          The New CCD Astronomy
          http://www.newastro.com
        • Kevin Dixon
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            Good evening Ron:

            You were certainly right about the focus. The turbulence in the atmosphere
            made focus extremely difficult. Certainly, the most challenging focus
            effort I have ever undertaken.

            I did manage to acquire about 30 images however. After I do some
            rudimentary processing, I'll post them to the group files tomorrow night.

            Clear skies,
            Kevin
            ksbtk@...

            From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>