Aligning comet images

  • Frank Barrett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
      I have 120, 30 second unguided exposures of T7 that I would like to
      stack. I can't use CCDSoft because it aligns on the stars and I get
      a smudge. The centroid tool doesn't work either since the comet
      head is so large. What other alternatives are there for stacking
      comet images? Thanks in advance.

      Frank
      http://celestialwonders.com
    • Wodaski - Yahoo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
        Send me two images via private email and I will take a look.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy Book
        I have 120, 30 second unguided exposures of T7 that I would like to
        stack. I can't use CCDSoft because it aligns on the stars and I get
        a smudge. The centroid tool doesn't work either since the comet
        head is so large. What other alternatives are there for stacking
        comet images? Thanks in advance.

        Frank
        http://celestialwonders.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Brian C. Barnes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
          Frank,

          I am working on an image processing program that uses alot of
          the information I've gotten from Ron's book. I'd be very interested
          in looking at a few of your images to see if I can add some kind
          of "comet align" capability to my program. Would you mind sending me
          1/2 dozen or so of the images as well?

          > Frank
          > http://celestialwonders.com
        • Mike Androsch
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
            Hi Frank,

            I use AstroArt and you can manually stack the images on the comet coma with
            appropriate accuracy with the AstroArt processing tool. Here is an image of
            T7 Linear as an example (the errors you can see in the star streaks are
            guiding errors and not stacking errors):

            Hope this helps ...

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
              Frank sent me the sample images, and this turned out as I suspected. It is
              going to be much easier than you thought. <g>

              First, the comet is not too large to do a centroid on - it just looks that
              way because of the contrast settings. Do you have my book? There is a good
              description of how to interact with the Histogram tool in there. The basic
              idea is to click to the right of the right-hand vertical line to move the
              white point further out. Do this until the core of the comet can be clearly
              seen. Now you know exactly where to click with the Centroid tool.

              Do this in all images, do an Align Centroid, and then you can save the
              images into a folder and combine them. Of course, you will want to do darks
              and flats BEFORE you do any aligning.

              I tested this, and it worked perfectly.

              Ron Wodaski
              The New CCD Astronomy Book

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
                Hi Frank,

                I use ImagesPlus to stack comet images and it works excellently for
                that purpose. The Addaptive Add combine produces the best SNR in the
                nebulous tail structure whereas Median combine lessens the star
                trails, but at considerable cost to the signal.

                Examples at http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

                Clear skies,

                Dennis Persyk
                Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
                Hampshire, IL

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Barrett" <frankb02@b...>
                wrote:
                > I have 120, 30 second unguided exposures of T7 that I would like to
                > stack. I can't use CCDSoft because it aligns on the stars and I
                get a smudge. The centroid tool doesn't work either since the comet
                > head is so large. What other alternatives are there for stacking
                > comet images? Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Frank
                > http://celestialwonders.com
              • Frank Barrett
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Thanks Ron,

                  It never occurred to me to set the histogram first. I tried as you
                  say and can get a perfect alignment. Thanks so much.

                  Frank
                  http://celestialwonders.com

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>
                  wrote:
                  > Frank sent me the sample images, and this turned out as I
                  suspected. It is
                  > going to be much easier than you thought. <g>
                  >
                  > First, the comet is not too large to do a centroid on - it just
                  looks that
                  > way because of the contrast settings. Do you have my book? There
                  is a good
                  > description of how to interact with the Histogram tool in there.
                  The basic
                  > idea is to click to the right of the right-hand vertical line to
                  move the
                  > white point further out. Do this until the core of the comet can
                  be clearly
                  > seen. Now you know exactly where to click with the Centroid tool.
                  >
                  > Do this in all images, do an Align Centroid, and then you can save
                  the
                  > images into a folder and combine them. Of course, you will want to
                  do darks
                  > and flats BEFORE you do any aligning.
                  >
                  > I tested this, and it worked perfectly.
                  >

                  > Ron Wodaski
                  > The New CCD Astronomy Book

                • Mark de Regt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Frank,

                    I have taken a few pictures of comets, and had a good experience aligning in
                    AIP4WIN (a really excellent package) using the one-star align.

                    Mark de Regt
                    Redmond, Washington, USA
                    47.7 N. Latitude; 122 West Longitude