RE: [ccd-newastro] More test images with STL-11000 camera

  • Wodaski - Yahoo
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
      Thanks. If you are going to use the 2" nosepiece, then there is nothing at
      all to do. Just use the Tak 2" adapter (with the two set screws) and the
      camera will be within a mm or so of the desired location.

      If you are going to use threaded connectors, that I haven't looked into
      (because the nosepiece method was so simple). But eventually that is how I
      would want to attach the camera - all threaded.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy Book
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
        Ron,
        Thanks for posting up the test shots -- looking good!
        I'd love to see one with the black point set a little lower to get a
        better idea of the S/N and background noise characteristics.
        Slightly noisy backgrounds were one thing noticed in some of the
        first posted images, and the high black point you've set doesn't let
        one evaluate that...:)
        Sure is a HUGE fov, isn't it! Wow.

        Paul

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
          Thanks. The background has been blurred because of the noise (remember, I
          was shooting through clouds, so the background was very bright and thus shot
          noise was very high). To get a good idea of the noise, I'd need to take some
          images under unclouded skies.

          I can post sections of raw images if you have an interest; the full images
          are 20MB which is the full allotment for the entire group's file section!
          I'm happy to make whatever you want available, just let me know.

          Ron Wodaski
          The New CCD Astronomy Book

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
            wrote:
            > Thanks. The background has been blurred because of the noise
            (remember, I
            > was shooting through clouds, so the background was very bright and
            thus shot
            > noise was very high). To get a good idea of the noise, I'd need to
            take some
            > images under unclouded skies.
            >
            > I can post sections of raw images if you have an interest; the full
            images
            > are 20MB which is the full allotment for the entire group's file
            section!
            > I'm happy to make whatever you want available, just let me know.

            Ron,
            Pesky clouds :(
            How about we wait until you get some good clear sky shots, so it's a
            more reasonable evaluation of the camera/chip characteristics and not
            the weather! When you get some, a raw or two would be great to see.
            I've got plenty of room on my server if you'd like for me to put up
            one or two raw/full-sized images. Let us know when you get some good
            skies to shoot under!

            Thanks,
            Paul
            http://lefevre.darkhorizons.org/ccdimaging/pdlccd.htm