Re: [ccd-newastro] debloomer for CCDSoft

  • David Bailey
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2003
      Ron,
      It's working OK now. I don't have the working 'Software Bisque' folder in Program Files where the installer placed the debloomer. I moved the DeBloomer_CCDSoft.dll to the location where I have CCDSoft v5.0.120 and it loaded from there. I tried it on the Cone. Great! It made a good round star from the bloom.
      Thanks
      Dave

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
        Did some more testing with the STL-11000 camera on the FCT-150 tonight.
        Despite rather bad conditions (more than half-full moon, high clouds, for a
        visual limiting magnitude of about 3.5), I got a fairly nice test image of
        the Horsehead. Mike Rice and I spent some time optimizing the distance
        between the f/5 reducer and the CCD chip, and it paid off pretty well though
        I think we still have a bit of camera tilt (elongation at lower right).

        Here are two versions, one half-size and one full-size, of an average
        combine of eight 3-minute images taken with the STL-11000 SBIG camera:

        Small version (50% of full size, 150k):
        http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b_sm.jpg

        Full version (380k):
        http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b.jpg

        The skies clouded over more fully after the eight images. I can't wait for
        dark skies and good weather to play more with this combination. When you
        consider the relatively small price difference between this and the ST-10XME
        (OK, so it's as much as I paid for my first new car!), this camera makes a
        good alternative. The width of the field of view just blows me away. I'm
        also surprised at how clean the results are with just a single auto dark
        frame; I have yet to take darks for this camera.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy Book
        web site: http://www.newastro.com
      • Michael Cole
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
          Interesting. Looks like good combo. Makes me wish I still had my FCT.

          Michael Cole
          UrbanImager Astrophotography website
          http://home.earthlink.net/~urbanimager/index.htm

          Wodaski - Yahoo wrote:

          > Did some more testing with the STL-11000 camera on the FCT-150 tonight.
          > Despite rather bad conditions (more than half-full moon, high clouds,
          > for a
          > visual limiting magnitude of about 3.5), I got a fairly nice test image of
          > the Horsehead. Mike Rice and I spent some time optimizing the distance
          > between the f/5 reducer and the CCD chip, and it paid off pretty well
          > though
          > I think we still have a bit of camera tilt (elongation at lower right).
          >
          > Here are two versions, one half-size and one full-size, of an average
          > combine of eight 3-minute images taken with the STL-11000 SBIG camera:
          >
          > Small version (50% of full size, 150k):
          > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b_sm.jpg
          >
          > Full version (380k):
          > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b.jpg
          >
          > The skies clouded over more fully after the eight images. I can't wait for
          > dark skies and good weather to play more with this combination. When you
          > consider the relatively small price difference between this and the
          > ST-10XME
          > (OK, so it's as much as I paid for my first new car!), this camera makes a
          > good alternative. The width of the field of view just blows me away. I'm
          > also surprised at how clean the results are with just a single auto dark
          > frame; I have yet to take darks for this camera.
          >

          > Ron Wodaski
          > The New CCD Astronomy Book
          > web site: http://www.newastro.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cc22mdh/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705082829:HM/EXP=1073031559/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732>

        • Bill Perry
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
            -
            Very nice Ron.

            -- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>
            wrote:
            > Did some more testing with the STL-11000 camera on the FCT-150
            tonight.
            > Despite rather bad conditions (more than half-full moon, high
            clouds, for a
            > visual limiting magnitude of about 3.5), I got a fairly nice test
            image of
            > the Horsehead. Mike Rice and I spent some time optimizing the
            distance
            > between the f/5 reducer and the CCD chip, and it paid off pretty
            well though
            > I think we still have a bit of camera tilt (elongation at lower
            right).

            > Here are two versions, one half-size and one full-size, of an
            average
            > combine of eight 3-minute images taken with the STL-11000 SBIG
            camera:

            > Small version (50% of full size, 150k):
            > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b_sm.jpg
            >
            > Full version (380k):
            > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b.jpg
            >
            > The skies clouded over more fully after the eight images. I can't
            wait for
            > dark skies and good weather to play more with this combination.
            When you
            > consider the relatively small price difference between this and
            the ST-10XME
            > (OK, so it's as much as I paid for my first new car!), this camera
            makes a
            > good alternative. The width of the field of view just blows me
            away. I'm
            > also surprised at how clean the results are with just a single
            auto dark
            > frame; I have yet to take darks for this camera.
            >

            > Ron Wodaski
            > The New CCD Astronomy Book
            > web site: http://www.newastro.com
          • laurenc319
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
              Hi Ron,

              That camera is just amazing with it's FOV. Many of the "old" objects
              will take on a new look as we get to see more results from this
              camera.

              At f5 the lower QE of the camera does not seem to be a factor at all.

              clear skies,

              Larry Citro

              > Did some more testing with the STL-11000 camera on the FCT-150
              tonight.
              > Despite rather bad conditions (more than half-full moon, high
              clouds, for a
              > visual limiting magnitude of about 3.5), I got a fairly nice test
              image of
              > the Horsehead. Mike Rice and I spent some time optimizing the
              distance
              > between the f/5 reducer and the CCD chip, and it paid off pretty
              well though
              > I think we still have a bit of camera tilt (elongation at lower
              right).

              > Here are two versions, one half-size and one full-size, of an
              average
              > combine of eight 3-minute images taken with the STL-11000 SBIG
              camera:

              > Small version (50% of full size, 150k):
              > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b_sm.jpg
              >
              > Full version (380k):
              > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b.jpg
              >
              > The skies clouded over more fully after the eight images. I can't
              wait for
              > dark skies and good weather to play more with this combination.
              When you
              > consider the relatively small price difference between this and the
              ST-10XME
              > (OK, so it's as much as I paid for my first new car!), this camera
              makes a
              > good alternative. The width of the field of view just blows me
              away. I'm
              > also surprised at how clean the results are with just a single auto
              dark
              > frame; I have yet to take darks for this camera.
              >

              > Ron Wodaski
              > The New CCD Astronomy Book
              > web site: http://www.newastro.com
            • Wodaski - Yahoo
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                Thanks - I'm feeling the same way. I sold this scope to my neighbor, Mike
                Rice, this past summer to finance the 20" RC. I'm missing it a great deal
                just about now. :*( At least I have visiting rights....

                Ron Wodaski
                The New CCD Astronomy Book

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                  I agree. It's nice to image at f/5. But keep in mind that we had pretty
                  awful clouds last night; on a clear night, I would have gone much deeper.

                  Ron Wodaski
                  The New CCD Astronomy Book
                  That camera is just amazing with it's FOV. Many of the "old" objects
                  will take on a new look as we get to see more results from this
                  camera.

                  At f5 the lower QE of the camera does not seem to be a factor at all.

                  clear skies,

                  Larry Citro

                  > Did some more testing with the STL-11000 camera on the FCT-150
                  tonight.
                  > Despite rather bad conditions (more than half-full moon, high
                  clouds, for a
                  > visual limiting magnitude of about 3.5), I got a fairly nice test
                  image of
                  > the Horsehead. Mike Rice and I spent some time optimizing the
                  distance
                  > between the f/5 reducer and the CCD chip, and it paid off pretty
                  well though
                  > I think we still have a bit of camera tilt (elongation at lower
                  right).

                  > Here are two versions, one half-size and one full-size, of an
                  average
                  > combine of eight 3-minute images taken with the STL-11000 SBIG
                  camera:

                  > Small version (50% of full size, 150k):
                  > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b_sm.jpg
                  >
                  > Full version (380k):
                  > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b.jpg
                  >
                  > The skies clouded over more fully after the eight images. I can't
                  wait for
                  > dark skies and good weather to play more with this combination.
                  When you
                  > consider the relatively small price difference between this and the
                  ST-10XME
                  > (OK, so it's as much as I paid for my first new car!), this camera
                  makes a
                  > good alternative. The width of the field of view just blows me
                  away. I'm
                  > also surprised at how clean the results are with just a single auto
                  dark
                  > frame; I have yet to take darks for this camera.
                  >

                  > Ron Wodaski
                  > The New CCD Astronomy Book
                  > web site: http://www.newastro.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • J. Pierce
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Ron,

                    Nice images and congrats on the new camera. Have you measured the amount of
                    back focus that it adds to the imaging train yet so you can figure out which
                    spacers to use with your new RCOS? Thanks.

                    John Pierce

                    Tidewater Farm Observatory

                    <http://home.comcast.net/~jgpierce> http://home.comcast.net/~jgpierce

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                      According to the SBIG site, the setup with filters and the 2" nosepiece
                      yields back focus of 1.67". 0.20" of that is the nosepiece, which I will not
                      use on the RCOS setup (unless I opt to put the TCF-S on there to allow me to
                      easily change back focus). If I use all-threaded setup, the back focus
                      utilization of the camera will be 1.47".

                      Ron Wodaski
                      The New CCD Astronomy Book

                      That camera is just amazing with it's FOV. Many of the "old" objects
                      will take on a new look as we get to see more results from this
                      camera.

                      At f5 the lower QE of the camera does not seem to be a factor at all.

                      clear skies,

                      Larry Citro

                      > Did some more testing with the STL-11000 camera on the FCT-150
                      tonight.
                      > Despite rather bad conditions (more than half-full moon, high
                      clouds, for a
                      > visual limiting magnitude of about 3.5), I got a fairly nice test
                      image of
                      > the Horsehead. Mike Rice and I spent some time optimizing the
                      distance
                      > between the f/5 reducer and the CCD chip, and it paid off pretty
                      well though
                      > I think we still have a bit of camera tilt (elongation at lower
                      right).

                      > Here are two versions, one half-size and one full-size, of an
                      average
                      > combine of eight 3-minute images taken with the STL-11000 SBIG
                      camera:

                      > Small version (50% of full size, 150k):
                      > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b_sm.jpg
                      >
                      > Full version (380k):
                      > http://www.blackbird-observatory.com/img/FCT-150/HH_test8b.jpg
                      >
                      > The skies clouded over more fully after the eight images. I can't
                      wait for
                      > dark skies and good weather to play more with this combination.
                      When you
                      > consider the relatively small price difference between this and the
                      ST-10XME
                      > (OK, so it's as much as I paid for my first new car!), this camera
                      makes a
                      > good alternative. The width of the field of view just blows me
                      away. I'm
                      > also surprised at how clean the results are with just a single auto
                      dark
                      > frame; I have yet to take darks for this camera.
                      >

                      > Ron Wodaski
                      > The New CCD Astronomy Book
                      > web site: http://www.newastro.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Randy
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                        Very nice Ron. That is the type of CCD that I plan for my FCT. Let me
                        know what it takes to get the F/5 reducer mated at the correct distance.

                        Randy
                        www.astronomydude.com <http://www.astronomydude.com/>

[...]

                        .com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
                        pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=642346711>

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Wodaski - Yahoo
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                          Thanks. If you are going to use the 2" nosepiece, then there is nothing at
                          all to do. Just use the Tak 2" adapter (with the two set screws) and the
                          camera will be within a mm or so of the desired location.

                          If you are going to use threaded connectors, that I haven't looked into
                          (because the nosepiece method was so simple). But eventually that is how I
                          would want to attach the camera - all threaded.

                          Ron Wodaski
                          The New CCD Astronomy Book

                        • lefevre@midway.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                            Ron,
                            Thanks for posting up the test shots -- looking good!
                            I'd love to see one with the black point set a little lower to get a
                            better idea of the S/N and background noise characteristics.
                            Slightly noisy backgrounds were one thing noticed in some of the
                            first posted images, and the high black point you've set doesn't let
                            one evaluate that...:)
                            Sure is a HUGE fov, isn't it! Wow.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                              Thanks. The background has been blurred because of the noise (remember, I
                              was shooting through clouds, so the background was very bright and thus shot
                              noise was very high). To get a good idea of the noise, I'd need to take some
                              images under unclouded skies.

                              I can post sections of raw images if you have an interest; the full images
                              are 20MB which is the full allotment for the entire group's file section!
                              I'm happy to make whatever you want available, just let me know.

                              Ron Wodaski
                              The New CCD Astronomy Book

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
                                wrote:
                                > Thanks. The background has been blurred because of the noise
                                (remember, I
                                > was shooting through clouds, so the background was very bright and
                                thus shot
                                > noise was very high). To get a good idea of the noise, I'd need to
                                take some
                                > images under unclouded skies.
                                >
                                > I can post sections of raw images if you have an interest; the full
                                images
                                > are 20MB which is the full allotment for the entire group's file
                                section!
                                > I'm happy to make whatever you want available, just let me know.

                                Ron,
                                Pesky clouds :(
                                How about we wait until you get some good clear sky shots, so it's a
                                more reasonable evaluation of the camera/chip characteristics and not
                                the weather! When you get some, a raw or two would be great to see.
                                I've got plenty of room on my server if you'd like for me to put up
                                one or two raw/full-sized images. Let us know when you get some good
                                skies to shoot under!

                                Thanks,
                                Paul
                                http://lefevre.darkhorizons.org/ccdimaging/pdlccd.htm