Zone system question

  • ksbtk@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      Good evening:

      For those of you familiar with Ron's zone system of image processing, I
      have a question regarding gradients that appear in images. Are the
      gradients removed as part of the zone system or is it assumed that all
      gradients have been removed prior to implementing the zone system?

      Ron - any idea as to when more content will be posted? I've got some
      wonderful raw data of a number of objects that I want to apply the zone
      system to.

      Clear skies,
      Kevin Dixon
      ksbtk@...
    • Mark de Regt
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
        Kevin,

        If I had the new Photoshop, I would get rid of gradients pretty early in the
        process. However, I have not upgraded (I have a Windows 98 machine), so I
        have to convert to 8 bit before doing gradient removal. Thus, I do that
        fairly late in the process.

        The fundamental rule, to me, is to do as much as possible in 16 bit;
        gradient removal is the first thing I do when converting to 8 bit.

        Ron may have other advice.

        Mark de Regt
        Redmond, Washington, USA
        47.7 N. Latitude; 122 West Longitude

      • ksbtk@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
          Thanks Mark. Have you considered using Ron's gradient removal tool for
          Maxim DL or do you not own Maxim?

          Clear skies,
          Kevin

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003