New Image: NGC7331

  • Steve Reilly
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
      Well no doubt that imaging during an Aurora event isn't probably the
      smartest thing you can do, I had already been imaging both Wed and Thurs
      before this happened. This image consists of 8 - 10 minute images of R,
      B & G @-20 2x2 bin and 8 - 10 minute luminance images all averaged
      combined and calibrated. Levels and curves used in PhotoShop 7. A DDP
      was applied to both the color and luminance using the default auto
      settings x .8 for the background and 2,000 added to the mid-level. I was
      trying not to clip the black point. I did boost the color saturation
      somewhat as well as a mild unsharp mask all after the master images were
      run in CCDSharp for 1 iteration. While not totally happy with the image
      I guess it isn't a total loss. Come to think of it I'm not sure I've
      ever been totally satisfied with any image but always look for
      improvement as time goes on. The direct link for this image is:
      http://www.astral-imaging.com/LRGB1ddpsharpps800.jpg for the 800x600 and
      http://www.astral-imaging.com/LRGB1ddpsharpps.jpg for the full size.

      Steve

    • Steve Reilly

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
          This is my latest attempt at this Galaxy group. It is a bit better than past
          attempts but still lacking. The image consists of 150 minute luminance as
          well as 70 minutes each for Red, Green and Blue. All images taken at -10
          degrees for 10 minutes each. I used Mira 7 to align the images, taken over a
          two night period, as well as combining them using the Sigma Clip and median
          routines in Mira. Still don't have handle on using Mira for calibration of
          images. Data acquired using MaxImDl/CCD version 4.03 and for RGB color
          combining. PhotoShop CS used for adding luminance layer and adjusting the
          levels and curves. Direct links at:

          http://www.astral-imaging.com/Deerlick.html

          Any suggestions to improve image appreciated.

          Thanks,

          Steve
        • Richard Bennion
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
            Steve,

            Really nice image!

            rb

            Richard A. Bennion
            http://www.ewellobservatory.com
            http://www.ccdware.com

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Steve Reilly
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
              Thanks Richard but it still seems weak. Regardless of the amount of time
              imaged it has a washed out appearance to me. The monitor is calibrated by
              using a Spyder and the camera is sensitive enough(ST8XE). The only issue I
              am aware of is that the mirrors could use a re-coating but I'm not sure of
              what effect this would have in terms of seeing a difference. They aren't
              terrible but do show signs of needing attention soon. I need to find someone
              that can apply a really good multicoat that will last a long time. These
              mirrors are only about 3 years old on the RC.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
                Steve,

                After careful examination of your image, there seems that a couple
                things could be causing the softness of the image:

                1. Your tracking is not very good.
                2. Whatever you are using for registration of your integrations is not
                doing a very good job.
                3. Your focus is off.

                This leads me to ask the following questions:

                1. What kind of mount do you have?
                2. What software do you use to register and process your images?
                3. What are you using to focus your system?

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
                  Wow, beautiful image! I especially like your web site too!

                  Mike

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Steve Reilly <sreilly@d...>
                  wrote:
                  > This is my latest attempt at this Galaxy group. It is a bit better
                  than past
                  > attempts but still lacking. The image consists of 150 minute
                  luminance as
                  > well as 70 minutes each for Red, Green and Blue. All images taken
                  at -10
                  > degrees for 10 minutes each. I used Mira 7 to align the images,
                  taken over a
                  > two night period, as well as combining them using the Sigma Clip
                  and median
                  > routines in Mira. Still don't have handle on using Mira for
                  calibration of
                  > images. Data acquired using MaxImDl/CCD version 4.03 and for RGB
                  color
                  > combining. PhotoShop CS used for adding luminance layer and
                  adjusting the
                  > levels and curves. Direct links at:
                  >
                  > http://www.astral-imaging.com/Deerlick.html
                  >
                  > Any suggestions to improve image appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Steve
                • Steve Reilly
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
                    Answers inserted>>>

                    After careful examination of your image, there seems that a couple
                    things could be causing the softness of the image:

                    1. Your tracking is not very good.

                    >>>Using the AP900GTO with the SBIG AO7 with corrections of .1-.2

                    2. Whatever you are using for registration of your integrations is not
                    doing a very good job.

                    >>> Using Mira 7 for registration and using 7 star locations to register.

                    3. Your focus is off.

                    >>> I am using a RoboFocus on the secondary mirror and FocusMax to achieve
                    focus. The RC usually holds fairly tight focus.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
                      Well, you seem to have the right equipment for the job. ;)

                      All of your stars seem to have a very unique shape to them, almost like
                      they have ears. It reminded me of something I saw on the Bisque website:

                      http://www.bisque.com/help/CCDSoft/AfxCore/Guiding_with_the_AO-7.htm

                      It states:

                      "Note: If stars in the downloaded images have one or more small "ears"
                      or are elongated, this could indicate over-correction. Reduce the
                      aggressiveness setting and try again. A too-high mount aggressiveness
                      setting can also cause this error."

                      Do your raw FITS have these unique stars in them?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
                        Hi,

                        I know this may be on the obvious side but check the balance on the mount. Stars like Richard made mention of result from an "out of balance" mount.

                        Don W.

                        After careful examination of your image, there seems that a couple
                        things could be causing the softness of the image:

                        1. Your tracking is not very good.

                        >>>Using the AP900GTO with the SBIG AO7 with corrections of .1-.2

                        2. Whatever you are using for registration of your integrations is not
                        doing a very good job.

                        >>> Using Mira 7 for registration and using 7 star locations to
                        register.

                        3. Your focus is off.

                        >>> I am using a RoboFocus on the secondary mirror and FocusMax to
                        achieve
                        focus. The RC usually holds fairly tight focus.

                        This leads me to ask the following questions:

                        1. What kind of mount do you have?
                        2. What software do you use to register and process your images?
                        3. What are you using to focus your system?

                        rb

                        Richard A. Bennion
                        http://www.ewellobservatory.com
                        http://www.ccdware.com

                        This is my latest attempt at this Galaxy group. It is a bit better than
                        past
                        attempts but still lacking. The image consists of 150 minute luminance
                        as
                        well as 70 minutes each for Red, Green and Blue. All images taken at -10
                        degrees for 10 minutes each. I used Mira 7 to align the images, taken
                        over a
                        two night period, as well as combining them using the Sigma Clip and
                        median
                        routines in Mira. Still don't have handle on using Mira for calibration
                        of
                        images. Data acquired using MaxImDl/CCD version 4.03 and for RGB color
                        combining. PhotoShop CS used for adding luminance layer and adjusting
                        the
                        levels and curves. Direct links at:

                        http://www.astral-imaging.com/Deerlick.html

                        Any suggestions to improve image appreciated.

                        Thanks,

                        Steve

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Steve Reilly
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
                          Thanks for all the feed back. I seem to have some issues that need to be
                          resolved. Randy Nulman graciously walked me through the proper spacing issue
                          that deals with RC type telescopes and first tests seem positive although
                          with the current weather and impending remnants of Ivan headed North, it
                          will probably be later next week before I can really test this under better
                          skies. Initial tests under poor sky conditions do show some improvement but
                          are a poor measurement for being critical.

                          Thanks,

                          Steve