Images from Thetford Star Party (UK)

  • Eddie Guscott
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      Just had a fun 4 days ay a dark sky site (well, dark for the UK
      anyway), and decided to try my hand at ccd imaging away from my
      backyard.

      A lot went wrong - autoguider didn't work (turned out to be a loose
      relay in the control box) - easily fixed when I got home and opened
      it up, a monitor decided to blow up (must have been all the moisture -
      equipment was really dripping by end of night)plus usual mistakes
      made by myself in selecting objects as after the luminance sub frames
      were complete the ccd camera was brushing the legs of my tripod so I
      had to acquire the objects again from the other side of the mount.

      How come you don't have these problems in your backyard:-)

      Anyway, I was really pleased with the outcome, 4 images from under a
      relatively dark sky.

      All were 2 minute unguided integrations (explains the non round
      stars) with 6" F9 refractor and HX916/TTL filter wheel.

      Any comments/criticisms appreciated:

      http://www.astropics.co.uk/ngc7635LRGB.jpg

      http://www.astropics.co.uk/NGC7023LRGB.jpg

      http://www.astropics.co.uk/vdb142LRGB.jpg

      http://www.astropics.co.uk/ngc891lrgb.jpg

      or you can select the thumbs from here (this page shows the exposure
      details):

      http://www.astropics.co.uk/deep%20sky.htm

      Ron is spot on when he says in his book that you can't beat imaging
      from a dark site. I can't wait for next trip.

      Processing the images was a pleasure - very little or no light
      pollution gradients to worry about makes processing a lot easier.

      Eddie Guscott
    • Steve Reilly
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
        Very nice collection of images. A dark site is a real pleasure to have.
        I could never move back to the city!

        Steve

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • deanjacobsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
          Eddie, those are some great images. My only suggestion would be to
          turn the green channel down just a bit. It will make a big
          difference in your NGC 7635 and NGC 7023 images.

          Dean Jacobsen
          www.astrophoto.net

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie Guscott"
          <eddie.guscott@b...> wrote:
          > Just had a fun 4 days ay a dark sky site (well, dark for the UK
          > anyway), and decided to try my hand at ccd imaging away from my
          > backyard.
          >
          > A lot went wrong - autoguider didn't work (turned out to be a loose
          > relay in the control box) - easily fixed when I got home and opened
          > it up, a monitor decided to blow up (must have been all the
          moisture -
          > equipment was really dripping by end of night)plus usual mistakes
          > made by myself in selecting objects as after the luminance sub
          frames
          > were complete the ccd camera was brushing the legs of my tripod so
          > had to acquire the objects again from the other side of the mount.
          >
          > How come you don't have these problems in your backyard:-)
          >
          > Anyway, I was really pleased with the outcome, 4 images from under
          > relatively dark sky.
          >
          > All were 2 minute unguided integrations (explains the non round
          > stars) with 6" F9 refractor and HX916/TTL filter wheel.
          >
          > Any comments/criticisms appreciated:
          >
          > http://www.astropics.co.uk/ngc7635LRGB.jpg
          >
          > http://www.astropics.co.uk/NGC7023LRGB.jpg
          >
          > http://www.astropics.co.uk/vdb142LRGB.jpg
          >
          > http://www.astropics.co.uk/ngc891lrgb.jpg
          >
          > or you can select the thumbs from here (this page shows the
          exposure
          > details):
          >
          > http://www.astropics.co.uk/deep%20sky.htm
          >
          > Ron is spot on when he says in his book that you can't beat imaging
          > from a dark site. I can't wait for next trip.
          >
          > Processing the images was a pleasure - very little or no light
          > pollution gradients to worry about makes processing a lot easier.
          >
          > Eddie Guscott
        • Eddie Guscott
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
            Thanks dean

            I always have a problem with the green channel, not knowing how much
            to add or pull back until image has that natural background
            appearance.

            I've twekaed images slightly as per your suggestion and it makes a
            difference (though I've not uploaded the changes yet so don't go
            looking).

            Thanks again

            Eddie Guscott

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "deanjacobsen"