RE: [ccd-newastro] Re: XY Finder

  • ksbtk@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have been looking at the Borg 50EDG Guider Set for use with an ST-237.
      Any thoughts about this combination? The link to the guider set is:

      http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/6052.htm

      Clear skies,
      Kevin Dixon
      ksbtk@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        That set includes more parts than most folks will need. Unless there is a
        price break for ordering that group of parts, I would call Hutech and get
        them to help you figure out the exact parts you need for your setup.

        Ron Wodaski
        author of The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

        > Understood - Borg has so many components if they'd just spend an
        > afternoon coming up with a better web site with a good explanation
        of
        > them all I think they'd sell twice as much!
        >
        > Michael Fulbright
        > msf@r...

        Actually, Hutech has come up with an electronic catalog with more
        complete descriptions:

        http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts03.pdf

        Borg even carries an equivalent to the XY finder. It's part #7200,
        the Super Image Shift. I have no experience with it, though.

        HTH,
        Eric

      • Bob Holzer
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hi Kevin:

          If you only want to guide with the scope, you don't need the ED scope.
          The basic achro is great by itself.

          In fact you don't even need the full "basic" scope if you are using or
          considering the XY finder, which is the subject line of this thread. The
          basic scope won't come to focus using the XY.

          Using the XY finder, a great product, you only need the following:

          Part #2050 50mm Objective & Dewshield
          7857 2" Helical Front Focuser (Highly
          Recommended)
          7601 thru 7604 100mm of extension tubes in any combination
          7522 Adapter to end in male t-thread

          I think these total to about $285.

          Bob

          > Understood - Borg has so many components if they'd just spend an
          > afternoon coming up with a better web site with a good explanation
          of
          > them all I think they'd sell twice as much!
          >
          > Michael Fulbright
          > msf@r...

          Actually, Hutech has come up with an electronic catalog with more
          complete descriptions:

          http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts03.pdf

          Borg even carries an equivalent to the XY finder. It's part #7200,
          the Super Image Shift. I have no experience with it, though.

          HTH,
          Eric

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • ksbtk@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            Thanks for the details Bob. As usual, you are a source of great
            information.

            Clear skies,
            Kevin Dixon
            ksbtk@...