Re: [ccd-newastro] Digest Number 1346

  • Frank S Barnes III
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2003
      Bob,

      A couple of things you might check. The permissions error might be associated with autosave on CCDSoft. I would make sure that autosave is on and the folder where it will put things is the
      one you want. I believe Ron keeps all the images so that you could go back later and examine the ones where image link failed to see what may have caused the failure or the weird mapping angle.
      Do you have autodark turned on ? This helps reduce the noise in a 10 sec image and helps keeps image link from trying to link on "hot pixels". For CCDCalc, have you configured your scope and
      camera and saved it with that software? I understand that if not saved, Automapper II doesn't find what it is looking for. I don't think Ron's software will physically keep the scope out of the horizon limits
      other than maybe skipping over that point if it falls below the line. What I do when creating my mapping points is to find the lowest point (ALT) that the scope can see in TheSky with the local horizon
      drawn and then use that limit as the "low alt limit" setting in automapper, leaving 89 as the default for the high value. That way I know I will map as low as I can see, but realize that many points will be
      thrown out as there are other AZ locations that don't go that low.

      I know you have done this one, but just to mention, make sure that the TPoint document is brand new and just created and ready for receiving mapped points. After all that, I might try a very
      abbreviated mapping run with say 10 points definitely in the "viewable area" and if it still misfires, you can capture the log and send it to Ron for analysis. But, I hope it doesn't come to that. Good luck
      on getting it running, it must be something small as it does work for the large majority. HTH ...............................

      Clear Skies ......

      Klaatu Barada Nikto ...

      Frank S Barnes III
      TwinOaks Observatory
      WWW.SkyImager.Com
      SBarnes@...
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        Frank,

        Thanks much for the proffered help! I nearly missed your advice, as I
        seldom look at messages where the subject just refers to Digest Number
        whatever.

        At any rate, affirmative to all below. As I noted to Ron, I discovered my
        server settings didn’t match his and I'm pretty certain that's the source
        of the error. Last night it finally cleared to a crystal clear sky here as
        I was ready to crawl into bed at about midnight. I couldn't bring myself
        to get dressed again at that point, and go out and open up the observatory
        to test the new settings. This evening looks grim also. However, as soon
        as I get a decent night I'll know whether or not it's just error settings.

        Did you get my private email mostly regarding your weather station and
        software? My Advantage Pro should arrive in a day or two, but the Davis
        software doesn't look like yours. Still curious whose you're using.

        Bob Genung