M27 Image

  • Gary Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
      I've posted a image of M27 which is a LRGB Image. This is the best of
      M27 I've been able to get so far. I know I need to get a longer
      exposure to bring out more detail. Hopefully in the near future the
      weather will clear and allow me to give it a shot. I'm planning on a
      trip to a dark sky site this weekend if the weather holds out. Never
      had the camera to a dark site so I'm really interested in seeing the
      difference in the results. Clear Skies everyone.

      Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
        What scope and camera did you use for this shot?

        This image looks a lot like M27 looks through the eyepiece, but of course
        you wouldn't see any of the color in the eyepiece! Most of the detail you
        show in this image is red, so I am thinking you might need to do longer
        exposures in blue and green to get the best color balance.

        To show more of the details on M27, you'll need to take a longer exposure.
        Do you have much light pollution where you are? The heavier the light
        pollution, the longer the exposure you need to get good details. How long of
        an exposure was this? Your stars are nice and round, so the guiding on this
        was very good.

        I've posted a image of M27 which is a LRGB Image. This is the best of
        M27 I've been able to get so far. I know I need to get a longer
        exposure to bring out more detail. Hopefully in the near future the
        weather will clear and allow me to give it a shot. I'm planning on a
        trip to a dark sky site this weekend if the weather holds out. Never
        had the camera to a dark site so I'm really interested in seeing the
        difference in the results. Clear Skies everyone.

        Gary

      • Gary Nelson, KI8HU
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
          The scope was a 10" LX-50 at f3.3. The camera was a MX5-C. I do live in town
          and have alot of light pollution here. The exposures were a single 3 min
          image for RGB and 20-20 sec exposures for the luminance file stacked in
          AstroArt.

          Gary

          > What scope and camera did you use for this shot?
          >
          > This image looks a lot like M27 looks through the eyepiece, but of course
          > you wouldn't see any of the color in the eyepiece! Most of the detail you
          > show in this image is red, so I am thinking you might need to do longer
          > exposures in blue and green to get the best color balance.
          >
          > To show more of the details on M27, you'll need to take a longer exposure.
          > Do you have much light pollution where you are? The heavier the light
          > pollution, the longer the exposure you need to get good details. How long
          of
          > an exposure was this? Your stars are nice and round, so the guiding on
          this
          > was very good.

        • Gary Nelson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
            I posted another test strip of the same image, M27, each processed
            differently. I would be curious as to which you think is best. I know
            I really need a longer exposure, i'm just trying to figure out the
            different ways of processing my images, since clouds prevent me from
            taking any more. Thanks for the comments!

            Gary
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
              I know that feeling; I live in Seattle area, and we go months at a time
              without having clear skies. It drives me nuts! <g> I've sometimes found
              myself completely reprocessing some images to see if I can do better, and
              sometimes I can't do nearly as good as I did the first time. <sigh>

              I will take a look later tonight; I have a work emergency to deal with this
              evening.

              Ron