Re: [ccd-newastro] Camera cooling experiment

  • R. A. Greiner
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
      I am delighted to hear that your experiment went so well. I have been a strong advocate of auxiliary cooling ever since I got my first ST-7 many years ago. I tried some experiments with liquid cooling early on. Finally SBIG went to the liquid cooler option and I immediately got it on my ST-7 and later on my ST-8.

      I am familiar with your setup and am really pleased to hear how it worked. I would suggest you get some of the little remote temperature thermometers from Radio Shack. They are only about $16. I use three of them to monitor temperatures in my large cooler system.

      Finally, the TE people make a temperature controller designed for their TE coolers that is excellent. They even make a controller with a 232 buss.

      For remote operation, you can have total control over your camera temperature and get the maximum possible under any given conditions.

      Best -- Doc G

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
        Ron,
        My chiller/thermostat keeps the antifreeze at 0c. I solved the
        condensation problem with the desiccant/plastic bag and the dew
        problem with a Kendrick heat strip. On our 90F nights in Florida, I
        can maintain -30C with enough headroom for temperature regulation.

        My next experiment may be to try a small air conditioner compressor as
        is used on computers. I want to be able to maintain -40C so that I
        can eliminate dark frames. My camera show no noise at -40C.

        If you come to the November Chiefland star party, I may show you the
        setup (ugly as it is). It is not very 'field friendly' so I may just
        show you pictures.

        Charlie

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo account"
        <yahoo@w...> wrote:
        > I now have used the chiller and pump on the camera for a full night of
        > imaging (actually, one of my customers did on the remote telescope).
        Prior
        > to attaching the chiller/pump, we were barely able to get to -10C. Last
        > night, on another very warm night, we imaged at -25C for the first
        portion
        > of the night and then -30C after 4am. (I could get to -30 even at
        9pm, but
        > the cooling percentage was way up at 95%, too high for reliable
        temperature
        > maintenance.)
        >
        > Humidity was at 90% or more the entire night, and we had no condensation
        > problems. I'm declaring this setup a winner! <g> I'll continue to
        monitor
        > the setup, but so far it's been a real treat for summertime imaging.
        When
        > time permits, I'll put up a web page with details for those would
        like to
        > implement this type of setup.
        >
        > Here's my processing of one of the images taken by last night's remote
        > telescope operator, Peter Chance in England:
        >
        > http://www.newastro.com/remote/images/pchance/M20_LRGB.jpg
        >
        > Peter took additional color exposures which I did not include, and a
        few of
        > the images were soft due to fog, but I still think that the low
        noise of a
        > much cooler temperature helped considerably.
        >
        > Ron Wodaski
        > author of The New CCD Astronomy
        > http://www.newastro.com
      • clearviewh
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
          Oh come on, it doesn't get that humid in New Mexico....My toilet
          sweats just from 60 degree water LOL
          All kidding aside, I don't see how that can be. In humid
          conditions, water condenses on cooler objects, even an old painter
          knows that <s<

          <yahoo@w...> wrote:
          > Well, it did do fine last night at 90% and higher humidity for more
          than 10
          > hours of imaging and darks.
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          > author of The New CCD Astronomy
          > http://www.newastro.com

          at
          > > ambient in a closed system without having to replace the "warmed"
          > > water??
          > > Yes, please keep us informed when you post this info on a web
          > > site. I'd like to build one....well, actually..."I know a
          guy....."
          > > <G>
          > > Ed
          > >

          > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo account"
          > > <yahoo@w...> wrote:
          > > > I now have used the chiller and pump on the camera for a full
          > night
          > > of
          > > > imaging (actually, one of my customers did on the remote
          > > telescope). Prior
          > > > to attaching the chiller/pump, we were barely able to get to -
          10C.
          > > Last
          > > > night, on another very warm night, we imaged at -25C for the
          first
          > > portion
          > > > of the night and then -30C after 4am. (I could get to -30 even
          at
          > > 9pm, but
          > > > the cooling percentage was way up at 95%, too high for reliable
          > > temperature
          > > > maintenance.)
          > > >
          > > > Humidity was at 90% or more the entire night, and we had no
          > > condensation
          > > > problems. I'm declaring this setup a winner! <g> I'll continue
          > > monitor
          > > > the setup, but so far it's been a real treat for summertime
          > > imaging. When
          > > > time permits, I'll put up a web page with details for those
          would
          > > like to
          > > > implement this type of setup.
          > > >
          > > > Here's my processing of one of the images taken by last night's
          > > remote
          > > > telescope operator, Peter Chance in England:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.newastro.com/remote/images/pchance/M20_LRGB.jpg
          > > >
          > > > Peter took additional color exposures which I did not include,
          and
          > > a few of
          > > > the images were soft due to fog, but I still think that the low
          > > noise of a
          > > > much cooler temperature helped considerably.
          > > >
          > > > Ron Wodaski
          > > > author of The New CCD Astronomy
          > > > http://www.newastro.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Wodaski Yahoo account
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
            There was an inch and a half of rain yesterday afternoon, and it had not
            evaporated by night fall. This leads to high moisture near the ground; we
            thought we might get to fog but it peaked at around 96% humidity just before
            dawn.

            I'm sure there was some condensation, but no trouble as a result.

            <yahoo@w...> wrote:
            > Well, it did do fine last night at 90% and higher humidity for more
            than 10
            > hours of imaging and darks.
            >
            > Ron Wodaski
            > author of The New CCD Astronomy
            > http://www.newastro.com

          • aajohnah
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
              Ron,

              Sounds like it might be a winner for those Nice humid Florida nights too

              Mark
              > Well, it did do fine last night at 90% and higher humidity for more than
              10
              > hours of imaging and darks.
              >
              > Ron Wodaski
              > author of The New CCD Astronomy
              > http://www.newastro.com

            • David B. Toth
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
                At 12:51 AM 7/2/2003 +0000, jilouus wrote:
                >Dave,
                >I hope you will be there.
                >Will you fly in this time or use commercial?
                >
                >Charlie Hoffman
                >Route
                >66

                I'll fly myself in again ...
                I'll be there ... Tom has be working on the program with him et al ...

                Dave

              • Frank Zersky, Jr.
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
                  What kind of an airplane do you fly Dave?

                  Frank

                • twu@appliedimage.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
                    Wow, -25C. Any way to get some pictures of the setup you have. I definitly
                    need that for Tucson.

                    Thanks

                    Ted

[...]

                    http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com>

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050828
                    29:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
                    camp=556&lineid=3512844&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=621946682>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    ----------------- CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION ------------------

                    This email, including attachments, contains information that is privileged,
                    confidential or subject to non-disclosure agreements or intellectual
                    property laws. This email, including attachments, constitutes non-public
                    information intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If
                    you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email, including
                    attachments, and notify the sender by return mail, email, or by calling (ALL
                    CONTACT INFORMATION LISTED BELOW). The unauthorized review, use,
                    dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this email, including
                    attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

                    APPLIED IMAGE Group / Optics subsidiary
                    4400 South Santa Rita Avenue
                    Tucson, AZ 85704
                    phone: 520-806-3800
                    fax: 520-806-3899

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
                      I will be taking pictures the next time I go down to New Mexico, end of July
                      at the latest I would think.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
                        At 09:37 AM 7/2/2003 -0400, Frank Zersky, Jr. wrote:
                        >What kind of an airplane do you fly Dave?

                        A 1967 Twin Comanche N936R
                        (I was flying a friend's C310 til I bought this)

                        Dave

                      • Bill Perry
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 3, 2003
                          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "aajohnah" <aajohnah@t...> wro