Re: NGC6946 Shallow and The Helix Nebula

  • Don Goldman
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      Thanks, Randy, Charlie and Paul.

      Don
      www.astrodon.com

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Nulman" <rj.nulman@v...>
      wrote:
      > Don,
      > Both images are simply stunning!...great work!
      >
      > Regards,
      > Randy Nulman
      >

      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Goldman"
      > <donclearview@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi, All,
      > >
      > > Been taking advantage of wonderful imaging conditions here in
      > > northern California. NGC6946 was taken in my backyard last
      > Thursday
      > > night. Very short image. The Helix Nebula was taken at our astro
      > > club's dark sky site near Lake Tahoe at 5000'. The Helix is
      > blocked
      > > by houses and trees at home. Taking images under dark skies - a
      > > rarity for me - is like running a marathon with sneakers that
      fit.
      > > Soooo much easier. I can push the curves a bit more in the Helix
      > > bring out a faint fringe in the lower left, but I'm happy so
      far.
      > > Comments always welcome. The links are:
      > >
      > > http://www.astrodon.com/NGC6946.html
      > > http://www.astrodon.com/NGC7293.html
      > >
      > > Don Goldman
      > > www.astrodon.com
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        Don,

        Great images! That C11 really does well--as of course the guy controlling
        the camera and processing the images <G>

        On the other hand, you really know how to hurt a guy by citing those
        "wonderful imaging conditions..." I'm gonna go in a corner and cry a
        lot--and it's all your fault!! : -(

        Bob Genung

        At 00:35 01/07/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi, All,
        >
        >Been taking advantage of wonderful imaging conditions here in
        >northern California. NGC6946 was taken in my backyard last Thursday
        >night. Very short image. The Helix Nebula was taken at our astro
        >club's dark sky site near Lake Tahoe at 5000'. The Helix is blocked
        >by houses and trees at home. Taking images under dark skies - a
        >rarity for me - is like running a marathon with sneakers that fit.
        >Soooo much easier. I can push the curves a bit more in the Helix to
        >bring out a faint fringe in the lower left, but I'm happy so far.
        >Comments always welcome. The links are:
        >
        ><http://www.astrodon.com/NGC6946.html>http://www.astrodon.com/NGC6946.html
        >http://www.astrodon.com/NGC7293.html
        >
        >Don Goldman
        >www.astrodon.com

      • Don Goldman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
          Bob,

          <g>. Yeh, but this year has not been "stellar" for weather for most
          of us, so we grab it when we can. Thanks for the kind comments.
          BTW, the cleardarksky clock for Sacramento shows all dark blue
          tonight in all categories <oh, sorry, Bob>. So, do I image on a work
          night? Do I spend some time with my wife? Do I pay some bills?
          Hmmmmm?

          Don
          www.astrodon.com

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Bob <rgenung@m...> wrote:
          > Don,
          >
          > Great images! That C11 really does well--as of course the guy
          controlling
          > the camera and processing the images <G>
          >
          > On the other hand, you really know how to hurt a guy by citing
          those
          > "wonderful imaging conditions..." I'm gonna go in a corner and cry
          > lot--and it's all your fault!! : -(
          >
          > Bob Genung

        • Wodaski Yahoo account
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
            NGC 6946 looks good, but I can still see a little evidence of the battle
            with gradients. The most noticeable effect of light pollution in color
            images are variations in background color across the image. Poor flats can
            also cause this under darker conditions, and will exacerbate the problem
            under light pollution conditions.

            A general suggestion for imaging from locations with light pollution: change
            the way that you attack the luminance histogram in Photoshop Curves.

            Normally, you go after the dim end aggressively. Try moving the focus of
            your aggression <g> a little to the right, so that the biggest boost occurs
            ahead of the dim stuff. This requires aggressive attention to the black
            point before each Curves adjustment.

            This gives you an image that is brighter the mid- to high-level ranges, with
            a darker background that makes the color gradients less likely to show up in
            the dim areas/background. You can also simply select the background and make
            it darker, but that's not so good for galaxies and nebulae because of the
            gradual way they transition to the background. You can also select the
            background and feather heavily, then reduce color saturation in the
            background. This last method is sometimes a good "quick fix" for especially
            troublesome images.

            Ron Wodaski
            author of The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
              Forgot to mention that the Helix is just stunning, with brilliant color and
              excellent details. No light pollution effects visible there at all.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                Thanks, Ron. Will look at some improvements to 6946. It was such a
                short image that I wasn't sure that I wanted to post it. Will have a
                go at it after I process the next two targets from the dark site
                weekend that are crying out at me. I liked the way the Helix turned
                out, also. Man, that dark site sure helps!

                Don Goldman
                www.astrodon.com

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo account"
                <yahoo@w...> wrote:
                > Forgot to mention that the Helix is just stunning, with brilliant
                color and
                > excellent details. No light pollution effects visible there at all.
                >
                > Ron Wodaski
                > author of The New CCD Astronomy
                > http://www.newastro.com

              • Randy Nulman
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Ron/Paul,
                  Maybe it's my lighting or monitor calibration, but I didn't see (and
                  still can't see) any kind of meaninful gradient in 6946. What am I
                  missing?...What should I be looking for? (The background looked
                  reasonably equal and neutral based on my observations)..what
                  specifically did you guys see? Thanks in advance for any insight on
                  this.

                  Regards,
                  Randy Nulman

                  <yahoo@w...> wrote:
                  > NGC 6946 looks good, but I can still see a little evidence of the
                  battle
                  > with gradients. The most noticeable effect of light pollution in
                  color
                  > images are variations in background color across the image. Poor
                  flats can
                  > also cause this under darker conditions, and will exacerbate the
                  problem
                  > under light pollution conditions.
                  >
                  > A general suggestion for imaging from locations with light
                  pollution: change
                  > the way that you attack the luminance histogram in Photoshop Curves.
                  >
                  > Normally, you go after the dim end aggressively. Try moving the
                  focus of
                  > your aggression <g> a little to the right, so that the biggest
                  boost occurs
                  > ahead of the dim stuff. This requires aggressive attention to the
                  black
                  > point before each Curves adjustment.
                  >
                  > This gives you an image that is brighter the mid- to high-level
                  ranges, with
                  > a darker background that makes the color gradients less likely to
                  show up in
                  > the dim areas/background. You can also simply select the background
                  and make
                  > it darker, but that's not so good for galaxies and nebulae because
                  of the
                  > gradual way they transition to the background. You can also select
                  the
                  > background and feather heavily, then reduce color saturation in the
                  > background. This last method is sometimes a good "quick fix" for
                  especially
                  > troublesome images.
                  >
                  > Ron Wodaski
                  > author of The New CCD Astronomy
                  > http://www.newastro.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Wodaski Yahoo account
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                    I saw the colors with my main monitor, but not on my LCD monitor. Try
                    copying the image and pasting it into an image editor, then boosting the
                    histogram, to see subtle gradients.

                    (Although I wonder if Don fixed it, or maybe I was hallucinating earlier if
                    he didn't; it looks better to me, too, this afternoon!)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                      <g>