RE: [ccd-newastro] Celestron PEC chip

  • Mark & Shauna
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2001
      Bryan,
          The chip in many/all of the scopes are faulty and the procedure to check yours is to initiate the PEC training sequence by pushign the PEC button, after a short time the PEC will go into "record" mode where it is not recording corrections to playback later. Refer to your manual to see what sequence the light will blink when in record mode. Once in record mode start timing how long the scope takes to go into PEC mode. (signaled by a different sequence of flashes). This time should be 5.41 minutes. In my case the scope only recorded for about 2.5 minutes. If you scope is going into PEC mode in less than 5.41 minutes you can contact Celestron and they will send you a replacement chip which is very easy to install (about 5 minutes) and it will be fixed (supposedly). I have yet to have much luck with PEC but I used an autoguider for CCD images wich usually means one would not use PEC as the PEC and autoguider will fight eachother.
          In some quick tests it did seem like it settled the mount down for planetary images where no guider is used. Perhaps others have had better success.

      Mark....
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2001
        Please excuse my typo below, the sentence should read "after a short time the PEC will go into "record" mode where it is *now* recording corrections to playback later"

        I nelgectud to use spel chreckr on this mezage,
        Mark