M64

  • innercite
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
      I shot M64 last weekend and I just processed it today..

      It was a short exposure of only 26 minutes Lum. but it seemed to come out ok..

      I ended up slightly clipping the black point for contrast..

      C14 @ F6.9 St10XE binned 2x2

      26min Lum 15 min RGB

      http://www.dickscarpetoutlet.com/~astro/Astro%20Pics/Full%20size/Galaxy/M64_b2_26m_L_15m_rgb.jpg

      Thanks for looking...

      Ken Crawford
      www.dickscarpetone.com/~astro

    • Randy Nulman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
        Ken,
        I couldn't get the link to work...tried copying, pasting, even typing
        in the link manually...nothing worked! I miss half your image posts
        because of this which is a shame because I know you post some great
        images and would love to see them all.

        Would it be possible to just show a hyperlink to the main site (I
        guess it's your business site) and then let us navigate to something
        like "astroimages", "new", and then find the image that way? Or
        just "astroimages" and then a choice of image by it's M or NGC
        designation?

        Just an idea...would be much easier to work with.

        Regards,
        Randy Nulman

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
          hmmm I will try something easier.

          I am using my business link and a ~ ..

          I will give that a shot..
          Ken
          I couldn't get the link to work...tried copying, pasting, even typing
          in the link manually...nothing worked! I miss half your image posts
          because of this which is a shame because I know you post some great
          images and would love to see them all.

          Would it be possible to just show a hyperlink to the main site (I
          guess it's your business site) and then let us navigate to something
          like "astroimages", "new", and then find the image that way? Or
          just "astroimages" and then a choice of image by it's M or NGC
          designation?

          Just an idea...would be much easier to work with.

          Regards,
          Randy Nulman

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "innercite" <dcoc1@i...> wrote:
          > I shot M64 last weekend and I just processed it today..
          >
          > It was a short exposure of only 26 minutes Lum. but it seemed to
          come out ok..

          > I ended up slightly clipping the black point for contrast..
          >
          > C14 @ F6.9 St10XE binned 2x2
          >
          > 26min Lum 15 min RGB
          >
          > http://www.dickscarpetoutlet.com/~astro/Astro%20Pics/Full%
          20size/Galaxy/M64_b2_26m_L_15m_rgb.jpg

          > Thanks for looking...
          >
          > Ken Crawford
          > www.dickscarpetone.com/~astro

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Wodaski Yahoo account
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
            Very nice! Small, tight stars and excellent details in the galaxy. Also nice
            and deep - an all-around nice effort. If this image has the elongation you
            were talking about in your other message, I think I can see it at upper
            right, and slightly at upper left. The appearance looks like collimation to
            me - a reducer tends to emphasize any underlying issues.

            Ron Wodaski
            author of The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
              Thanks Ron...
              I thought I had the collimation spot on... but it can change. I will look at it tonight..

              Ken

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
                A very beautiful image Ken.

                Clear skies,
                Kevin Dixon
                ksbtk@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Thanks for the comments,
                  Ken

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 27, 2006
                    HI

                    it's been a while since i was able to post any images..getting some new
                    equipment...along with some weahter problems...last night i was able to
                    get out and finally image....i just got a losmandy titan...and was
                    having a small problems with some sticking in the dec...hopefully i
                    will tweak that bug out within a week..anyhow.i was still able to get
                    this one of the blackeye galaxy..

                    http://www.grekalova.com/

                    jamie
                  • Randy Nulman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
                      Jamie,
                      Very nice!

                      There is a magenta cast in the galaxy (even in most of the stars).
                      I'd suggest adding a bit of green and/or reducing some of the red.

                      You can do this via curves/levels for each color channel, or just
                      simply use the color balance tool in PS. Just remember to adjust
                      the black point in each channel after a color balance change so that
                      the background remains neutral.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Randy Nulman
                      http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <rhoowl@...> wrote:

                      > HI
                      >
                      > it's been a while since i was able to post any images..getting
                      some new
                      > equipment...along with some weahter problems...last night i was
                      able to
                      > get out and finally image....i just got a losmandy titan...and was
                      > having a small problems with some sticking in the dec...hopefully
                      > will tweak that bug out within a week..anyhow.i was still able to
                      get
                      > this one of the blackeye galaxy..
                      >

                      > http://www.grekalova.com/
                      >

                      > jamie

                    • Jamie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                        hi

                        thanks..i noticed there was a bit of a magenta cast to the image..i
                        used the IDAS LPS filter when shooting this...the filter changes the
                        exposure times a bit...perhaps i need to expose the green a bit
                        longer...also..the filter seems to allow a bit more blue light than
                        the rest...also shortening the blue...

                        i will give this a try and see what happens..

                        jamie

                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Nulman" <rj.nulman@...>