Luminace Layer and Binned Color/ Smaller Stars

  • kja9983
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 7:11 PM
      Hi Ron,

      On page 328 in your book you talk about combining binned RGB. Could
      you explain a little more on how to make the size of the stars
      smaller in the low res color channel's? I am not really sure about
      the Lab process.

      I have been combining RGB in CCDSoft and using the Luminance layer
      process in Photoshop. I want the stars to look smaller.

      Thanks,

      Ken
    • Wodaski Yahoo account
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 8:25 PM
        The best way to do this uses something that I developed after the book (and
        that will be featured in the next book on image processing).

        The basic process:

        * Select the stars using the Color Range tool. Choose Highlights in the drop
        down of that tool instead of clicking to select.

        * Expand the selection, usually by 4-6 pixels, to get the stars and a bit of
        the area around them.

        * Apply a feather, usually around 3 pixels.

        Optional, but recommended: copy the selection, then paste it in as a new
        layer. This offers some advantages that will be covered in more detail in
        the book.

        * Use the minimum filter to reduce star sizes.

        * If necessary, select specific stars and adjust the midpoint slider in
        levels to match the background brightness level of the stars to the
        surrounding image. This is usually only needed if the star is in front of a
        galaxy or nebula. (This step is easier if you have created a new layer as
        above.)

        Ron Wodaski
        author of The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 9:09 PM
          Ron,

          Thanks, that sounds pretty simple.

          I will be looking forward to the new book, put me down for one.

          Regards,

          Ken

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo account"
          <yahoo@w...> wrote:
          > The best way to do this uses something that I developed after the
          book (and
          > that will be featured in the next book on image processing).
          >
          > The basic process:
          >
          > * Select the stars using the Color Range tool. Choose Highlights
          in the drop
          > down of that tool instead of clicking to select.
          >
          > * Expand the selection, usually by 4-6 pixels, to get the stars
          and a bit of
          > the area around them.
          >
          > * Apply a feather, usually around 3 pixels.
          >
          > Optional, but recommended: copy the selection, then paste it in as
          a new
          > layer. This offers some advantages that will be covered in more
          detail in
          > the book.
          >
          > * Use the minimum filter to reduce star sizes.
          >
          > * If necessary, select specific stars and adjust the midpoint
          slider in
          > levels to match the background brightness level of the stars to the
          > surrounding image. This is usually only needed if the star is in
          front of a
          > galaxy or nebula. (This step is easier if you have created a new
          layer as
          > above.)
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          > author of The New CCD Astronomy