RE: [ccd-newastro] February targets

  • Eric Ayres
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
      well....I took 100x1min images at f/6.3 these where unbinned of those I then
      took them and combined ten at a time and then those 10 to make the one I
      uploaded. I did ten dark when I was finishing last night . I also did a
      Flat file a while back that I used in calibrating. The scope I use is an
      LX-200 10" and an ST-237. I tell you what had I had it to do over again I
      would have gotten a different scope and camera....I am not very happy with
      the performance of either...oh the dark's I did where at -17.2 deg C running
      at 72%....

      Thanx,

      Eric

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
        Also I did the shots 10 at a time as I had to guide it back to close to the
        starting point....This is due as you know to the POOR pointing/guiding of
        the LX-200...

        Eric

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
          Eric,
          I haven't revisited M63, here is my 3 minute exposure, as you can see I had a real PEC problem.
          I am surprised there isn't more detail from 100 minutes.

          Cheers !!
          --Ivor
          http://www.employees.org/~ibarker/Astronomy/pages/m63.htm
          At 05:30 PM 2/4/2001 -0800, you wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          www.

           Ivor Barker
          10" LX 200
          ST-237
          37 08 24 N
          121 36 25 W
          Please take a look at my Messier Project (updated daily - almost)
        • KSBTK@HOME
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
            Good evening Ron:

            Have you had a chance to develop a list of targets for February?

            Clear skies,
            Kevin Dixon
            ksbtk@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
              OK, here we go, some treats for February:

              * The moon is full now, so any imaging over the next week would be early and
              to the west to avoid moonlight. There are some repeat customers from
              previous months out there for your imaging pleasure:

              - M31 is getting low, but you have a short opportunity to get this classic
              if you set up in twilight and are ready to go.

              - M76 is just above M31, and is good for longer focal lengths

              - M1 is nearly overhead (on the meridian at 8pm here), so you have a few
              hours to capture it very high in the sky, which should help resolve faint
              detail as you will have the minimum of light pollution at the zenith.

              - Clusters are fair game in moonlight; M35 through M38 are very high
              targets, too, so this could be a good time to try for some color images. Aim
              for no more than 60-80% saturation on the brightest stars and you will get
              better colors when you do a color combine. The trick with clusters in color
              is to treat them like any other object: stay away from saturation if you
              want even, accurate color.

              * Once the moon goes down, the south and east are the place to hunt for good
              targets. Might as well call this "Galaxy month."

              - The Virgo cluster of galaxies is a good hunting ground. You can probably
              find some excellent galaxy-filled areas no matter what the field of view of
              your setup is. There are many bright targets in this group of galaxies,
              including numerous Messier objects; the Black-eye galaxy (M64); and
              interesting groupings for wide field, like M65/66. This is an endless
              playground if you like galaxies. The darker your skies, the better, but
              there is plenty here for suburban skies as well, and the Messier objects
              will show up even from the city if you are patient.

              - Want a little project for longer focal lengths? Try different exposures
              to capture the jet streaming out of the core of M87.

              * Two big-time cool galaxies are now well up: M51 and M100. If you haven't
              tried M101, it's dim and requires long exposures and accurate guiding. It's
              a challenge to get good detail on this dim galaxy, but if you are ready for
              the challenge, it's a good target. M51 shows up quickly, but long exposures
              will bring out details of the stars being torn out of the larger of this
              galaxy pair.

              * M81 and M82 are an excellent pair for wide-field imaging, and both also
              provide excellent detail for longer focal lengths individually. M81 has dim
              arms and a bright core; combine images and use a histogram stretch to show
              detail in both areas. M82 is superb in color, with intense star-forming
              regions, a blast of red hydrogen from the core, and dust everywhere.

              * Another dim but interesting target is M92, the Owl Nebula. It's bright
              enough to show up quickly, but it takes long exposures and plenty of them to
              get past the grainy look on this object. Nearby M108 is interesting, and is
              especially rewarding in long focal length scopes that can show it's star
              forming regions and dust lanes. This is actually a complex and interesting
              galaxy.

              * M13 is there to reward anyone up late. There are a few nearby galaxies;
              it's a challenge to get good detail in M13 without burring the core out, yet
              going long enough to capture something of the background galaxies.

              * To the south, there are a few open clusters (Messier catalog objects like
              M41, 50, 93, 40, 47), but the real treat is Thor's Helmet. Dim, but VERY
              interesting, especially in color. Definitely a challenging object.

              And it's not too late to still have some fun with Orion and the many
              interesting objects there: M42; Running Man nebula; Rosette; Cone nebula;
              Flame and Horsehead; etc.

              Ron Wodaski
              The New CCD Astronomy
              http://www.newastro.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                Thanks for a great list Ron!

                Clear skies,
                Kevin Dixon
                ksbtk@...

                From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
                  Good afternoon:

                  Can anyone tell me the NGC (or other) designation for Thor's Helmet. Thank
                  you.

                  Clear skies,
                  Kevin Dixon
                  ksbtk@...

                  From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>

                  > * To the south, there are a few open clusters (Messier catalog objects
                  like
                  > M41, 50, 93, 40, 47), but the real treat is Thor's Helmet. Dim, but VERY
                  > interesting, especially in color. Definitely a challenging object.
                • John Gretchen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
                    NGC 2359

                    "KSBTK@HOME" wrote:

                    > Good afternoon:
                    >
                    > Can anyone tell me the NGC (or other) designation for Thor's Helmet. Thank
                    > you.
                    >
                    > Clear skies,
                    > Kevin Dixon
                    > ksbtk@...

                    Clear skies,
                    John N. Gretchen III
                    Port O'Connor TX
                    http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/stars/
                    "The facts are always less than what really happened."
                    Nadine Gordimer, Nobel Prize-winning author