RE: [ccd-newastro] February targets

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
      I see to significant issues: focus and guiding.

      On the other hand, this isn't that much different from my own efforts about
      a year ago. <g> And if the seeing was bad, the issue might not be with
      focus, but with the seeing. Here's my first sunflower from last January,
      limited in my case by poor focus and seeing <g>:

      http://www.wodaski.com/wodaski/images/practice/sunflower_poor.jpg

      There is approximately the same level of detail, but it looks like you were
      using a longer focal length, so your image scale is larger.

      The guiding issue (or polar alignment issue if you were shooting unguided)
      is shown by the diagonal lines of the galaxy core and the star at upper
      right. This contributes to the lack of detail.

      I'd need to know more about you specific setup that you used to make any
      specific recommendations about how to improve your results. It would be
      useful to know whether seeing or focus inaccuracies caused the blurring, for
      example. And it would be useful to know your exposure details.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
        well....I took 100x1min images at f/6.3 these where unbinned of those I then
        took them and combined ten at a time and then those 10 to make the one I
        uploaded. I did ten dark when I was finishing last night . I also did a
        Flat file a while back that I used in calibrating. The scope I use is an
        LX-200 10" and an ST-237. I tell you what had I had it to do over again I
        would have gotten a different scope and camera....I am not very happy with
        the performance of either...oh the dark's I did where at -17.2 deg C running
        at 72%....

        Thanx,

        Eric

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
          Also I did the shots 10 at a time as I had to guide it back to close to the
          starting point....This is due as you know to the POOR pointing/guiding of
          the LX-200...

          Eric

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
            Eric,
            I haven't revisited M63, here is my 3 minute exposure, as you can see I had a real PEC problem.
            I am surprised there isn't more detail from 100 minutes.

            Cheers !!
            --Ivor
            http://www.employees.org/~ibarker/Astronomy/pages/m63.htm
            At 05:30 PM 2/4/2001 -0800, you wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            www.

             Ivor Barker
            10" LX 200
            ST-237
            37 08 24 N
            121 36 25 W
            Please take a look at my Messier Project (updated daily - almost)
          • KSBTK@HOME
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
              Good evening Ron:

              Have you had a chance to develop a list of targets for February?

              Clear skies,
              Kevin Dixon
              ksbtk@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                OK, here we go, some treats for February:

                * The moon is full now, so any imaging over the next week would be early and
                to the west to avoid moonlight. There are some repeat customers from
                previous months out there for your imaging pleasure:

                - M31 is getting low, but you have a short opportunity to get this classic
                if you set up in twilight and are ready to go.

                - M76 is just above M31, and is good for longer focal lengths

                - M1 is nearly overhead (on the meridian at 8pm here), so you have a few
                hours to capture it very high in the sky, which should help resolve faint
                detail as you will have the minimum of light pollution at the zenith.

                - Clusters are fair game in moonlight; M35 through M38 are very high
                targets, too, so this could be a good time to try for some color images. Aim
                for no more than 60-80% saturation on the brightest stars and you will get
                better colors when you do a color combine. The trick with clusters in color
                is to treat them like any other object: stay away from saturation if you
                want even, accurate color.

                * Once the moon goes down, the south and east are the place to hunt for good
                targets. Might as well call this "Galaxy month."

                - The Virgo cluster of galaxies is a good hunting ground. You can probably
                find some excellent galaxy-filled areas no matter what the field of view of
                your setup is. There are many bright targets in this group of galaxies,
                including numerous Messier objects; the Black-eye galaxy (M64); and
                interesting groupings for wide field, like M65/66. This is an endless
                playground if you like galaxies. The darker your skies, the better, but
                there is plenty here for suburban skies as well, and the Messier objects
                will show up even from the city if you are patient.

                - Want a little project for longer focal lengths? Try different exposures
                to capture the jet streaming out of the core of M87.

                * Two big-time cool galaxies are now well up: M51 and M100. If you haven't
                tried M101, it's dim and requires long exposures and accurate guiding. It's
                a challenge to get good detail on this dim galaxy, but if you are ready for
                the challenge, it's a good target. M51 shows up quickly, but long exposures
                will bring out details of the stars being torn out of the larger of this
                galaxy pair.

                * M81 and M82 are an excellent pair for wide-field imaging, and both also
                provide excellent detail for longer focal lengths individually. M81 has dim
                arms and a bright core; combine images and use a histogram stretch to show
                detail in both areas. M82 is superb in color, with intense star-forming
                regions, a blast of red hydrogen from the core, and dust everywhere.

                * Another dim but interesting target is M92, the Owl Nebula. It's bright
                enough to show up quickly, but it takes long exposures and plenty of them to
                get past the grainy look on this object. Nearby M108 is interesting, and is
                especially rewarding in long focal length scopes that can show it's star
                forming regions and dust lanes. This is actually a complex and interesting
                galaxy.

                * M13 is there to reward anyone up late. There are a few nearby galaxies;
                it's a challenge to get good detail in M13 without burring the core out, yet
                going long enough to capture something of the background galaxies.

                * To the south, there are a few open clusters (Messier catalog objects like
                M41, 50, 93, 40, 47), but the real treat is Thor's Helmet. Dim, but VERY
                interesting, especially in color. Definitely a challenging object.

                And it's not too late to still have some fun with Orion and the many
                interesting objects there: M42; Running Man nebula; Rosette; Cone nebula;
                Flame and Horsehead; etc.

                Ron Wodaski
                The New CCD Astronomy
                http://www.newastro.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Thanks for a great list Ron!

                  Clear skies,
                  Kevin Dixon
                  ksbtk@...

                  From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
                    Good afternoon:

                    Can anyone tell me the NGC (or other) designation for Thor's Helmet. Thank
                    you.

                    Clear skies,
                    Kevin Dixon
                    ksbtk@...

                    From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>

                    > * To the south, there are a few open clusters (Messier catalog objects
                    like
                    > M41, 50, 93, 40, 47), but the real treat is Thor's Helmet. Dim, but VERY
                    > interesting, especially in color. Definitely a challenging object.
                  • John Gretchen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
                      NGC 2359

                      "KSBTK@HOME" wrote:

                      > Good afternoon:
                      >
                      > Can anyone tell me the NGC (or other) designation for Thor's Helmet. Thank
                      > you.
                      >
                      > Clear skies,
                      > Kevin Dixon
                      > ksbtk@...

                      Clear skies,
                      John N. Gretchen III
                      Port O'Connor TX
                      http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/stars/
                      "The facts are always less than what really happened."
                      Nadine Gordimer, Nobel Prize-winning author