Reprocessed M1 using Sigma

  • Steve Reilly
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2002
      After seeing some of the extremely fine M1 images displayed lately I
      thought I'd try reprocessing using Sigma for combining flats, darks and
      lights. This is a LRGB image and the direct link is:
      http://www.cstone.net/~dreilly/m1Sigma.html

      Comments welcomed!

      Steve

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2002
        That's a really nice M1, Steve. Impressive detail; really crisp. I think you
        could probably raise the black point just a hair; there is the barest trace
        of some dark halos around the stars from sharpening. A slightly darker
        background would balance that out nicely.

        Ron Wodaski
        author of The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2002
          wow Steve,

          Nice to see what can be done with a C11 :)
          Ken
          After seeing some of the extremely fine M1 images displayed lately I
          thought I'd try reprocessing using Sigma for combining flats, darks and
          lights. This is a LRGB image and the direct link is:
          http://www.cstone.net/~dreilly/m1Sigma.html

          Comments welcomed!

          Steve

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Steve Reilly
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
            Thanks Ron,

            With the differences in monitor brightness etc.. I'm never really sure
            where to adjust the black. I'll bump it up a bit and get rid of the
            halos. That was done with 6 iterations of CCD sharp.

            Steve

            After seeing some of the extremely fine M1 images displayed lately I
            thought I'd try reprocessing using Sigma for combining flats, darks and
            lights. This is a LRGB image and the direct link is:
            http://www.cstone.net/~dreilly/m1Sigma.html

            Comments welcomed!

            Steve

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            082829:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x
            ?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=625372115>

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
              Ken,

              Thanks. This is the best star shapes I had since I owned it new. The
              secondary holder had a problem and was replaced. Now I' real happy. I
              was very impressed with the difference that Sigma made after fooling
              around with the settings and re-reading the instructions. Very powerful
              program, and free!

              Steve

              Nice to see what can be done with a C11 :)
              Ken
              After seeing some of the extremely fine M1 images displayed lately I
              thought I'd try reprocessing using Sigma for combining flats, darks
              and
              lights. This is a LRGB image and the direct link is:
              http://www.cstone.net/~dreilly/m1Sigma.html

              Comments welcomed!

              Steve

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              082829:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x
              ?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=860654950>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                You can use the histogram to find the sweet spot for the black point. The
                black point almost always will look best set just a hair to the left of the
                main clump of data in the histogram. See:

                http://www.newastro.com/wodaski/images/practice/blackpoint.jpg

                The main exception is when your image has nebulosity throughout, and there
                really isn't any true dark background. Then you have to use your eye on a
                well-adjusted monitor to find the best spot for the black point.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                  Steve,

                  Could you go into detail about the problem with the secondary holder?

                  I have pulled my C11 off the AP1200 and put it back on its Nexstar forks, updated the software and am getting it ready to sell with the Hyperstar setup. I installed a C14 with my TV101 on top and should get my Hyperstar setup for it next week. It is designed to handle the larger camera's and I should receive my 2000xm about the same time with a special Ha filter to handle the F1.9 FL. I am looking forward to the 45 x 61 arcmin FOV (665 mm FL) with fairly nice star images. And I am hoping that the 2.29 arcsec/pixel is a good match.

                  I also received the Ted Agos Universal adapter to be able to shoot from the back of the scope with the TCF-s and I have mirror locks on the way that I am going to try before I try the collar lock (afraid to cut into the side of my scope :) The only problem about Hyperstar with the C14 is that the C14 focus knob is not very good and hitting the small CFZ will not be easy with it until Dean has his FeatherTouch focuser ready. I have one on the C11 with a Robo driving it and it works well but was really slow but the C14 version with the RF remote will be 3 times faster and I need the remote system for those cold nights :)

                  I found out how right Ron W. is about pixel size vs. seeing as I tried to image with the F3.3 reducer and the 237a on the back. My seeing required larger pixels but binning a s237a is :( and the SBIG 2000xm is slow in coming and the Filter wheel has not shown up either.

                  Well, sorry about the rambling, I just can't believe how deep I have gotten in one year...!! Hard to concentrate on my work these days and seeing the great work many here have achieved is a great motivator..

                  Thanks for all the help,,

                  Ken Crawford
                  www.dickscarpetone.com/~astro

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                    Steve,
                    Very nice image! Was the sigma combine program from Ray? What do
                    you think of it..upside and downside?

                    Thanks,
                    Randy Nulman

                    --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Steve Reilly" <sreilly@d...> wrote:
                    > After seeing some of the extremely fine M1 images displayed lately I
                    > thought I'd try reprocessing using Sigma for combining flats, darks
                    and
                    > lights. This is a LRGB image and the direct link is:
                    > http://www.cstone.net/~dreilly/m1Sigma.html
                    >
                    > Comments welcomed!
                    >
                    > Steve

                  • Steve Reilly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                      Randy,

                      Thanks. I've been very pleased with the corrected C11. Yes, Ray's
                      program and it's available at http://www.gralak.com/Sigma . I am using
                      Beta 10 and looking very forward to Beta 11 which he addresses on the
                      web site.The program has consistently gotten me better results with the
                      few images I have used on it. Reading the info on the program really
                      does help and I feel quite comfortable with it now. May have to run the
                      process several times to get the values I'm looking for but as I use it
                      more I think this will become more natural. And a great price as well!
                      Highly recommended. Upside is the recommended staring settings for what
                      you are doing, lights, flats or darks. Downside, I haven't found any
                      yet. Maybe that you need to align in another program before using Sigma
                      but that really isn't a problem. All of M1's images stacked just fine
                      without alignment. I am using the C11, ST8E, AO7 @f6.3 using Ted Argo's
                      reducer arrangement. I understand that an alignment routine may be in
                      beta 11 when it becomes available.

                      082829:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u
                      ?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1328027/rand=459312597>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                          Steve,
                          What does this program do that CCDsoft or MaxDL doesn't do??

                          Thanks,
                          Ken

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
                            Sorry, I see the difference examples at his website...

                            Thanks for the efforts..
                            Ken