- Hi all,
Got done processing this image which was taken at Okie-Tex Star Party.
I used a TeleVue 101 (4") F/5.4 refractor and an ST-10 XME CCD. Also
used an H-Alpha and UV Blocking filter. This is a large nebula (I
think I have a 90x60 minute field of view, can't remember)
Red Filter 3x8 (24 min)
Green Filter 3x8 (24 min)
Blue Filter 4x8 (32 min)
Luminance10x10 (100 min)
All 2x2 Bin.
I used a trick of Rons where I blurred the fainter dim part of the
nebula. To keep the stars sharp, I used the color range to select the
stars and then created an Alpha channel to save the selection. Then
slected the dim area, again with the color range tool, and did a Load
Selection and subtract using the Alpha Channel. I saw Ron do
something like this at the Astro Image 2002 but I could not remember
how he kept the stars out of the picture, maybe this is what he did.
I am taking a Photoshop class and we have been using Alpha Channels
alot lately so I am getting use to them. One advantage to them is
that they can be edited after a selection is made by just using the
paint brush. I used Pixel Math (in MaximDL) on the Color image
which really helped (something Ron talks about in his book) But all
the luminance and most of the color processing was done in Photoshop 7.01
I think I still need to practice some of the tricks Ron does because I
did redo this image twice. I did not care for the first pass.