7476Re: Re: [ccd-newastro] CCD Recommendations?

  • luckas@optusnet.com.au
    May 1, 2002
      Seems like you have a reasonable budget. I'm using an ST237-A (which is about
      half your budget), but keep in mind that you'll want few accessories as the
      months
      progress - such as a better focusser - maybe even a OAG or guide telescope. If I
      had my time again I'd seriously consider a camera with an integrated guiding
      chip (which includes almost all of the SBIG ones now). When you think about it,
      the price difference is quickly justified once you start adding up the cost of
      flip
      mirrors, guiding eyepieces etc. etc.

      SBIG are undoubtedly the market leader - although there are quite a few others to

      choose from. Alot of people will not recommend the Meade CCD cameras. I
      can't comment because I've never owned one, but I can vouch for the quality,
      reliability, ease of use etc. of the ST 237-A. The SBIG cameras integrate
      seamlessly with the LX200. You won't be disappointed.

      For an indication of what is possible see my first attempts at
      http://members.optusnet.com.au/~luckas/astrophotography/astro.htm
      I have a couple of first attempt planetary photos that show some promise, as well
      as a couple of nebulas and galaxies. I'm very much a beginner, so it should give
      you some idea of what to expect.

      Don't be afraid to avoid colour imaging for awhile. I jumped straight into colour
      imaging, and am now back to perfecting B&W imaging. There's plenty of time to
      get into colour, so there's no absolute need to by a colour filter wheel immediately
      (my opinion only).

      Of course Ron's book provides a wealth of information on just your dilemma. I
      can definitely recommend this as a starting point. Don't be put off by the slight
      bias against LX200's and the like. They can be made to work very well - and
      you'll find a lot of excellent CCD images that have been taken through them.

      In short., my recommendations are: spend some time reading Ron's book, and
      spend some time on the SBIG web site.

      I'm sure this will help.

      > starmark57@... <starmark57@...> wrote:
      >
      > budget is about 2500 to 3000-Mark