74381Re: New to the Group!

  • deitzelj
    Aug 5 10:22 AM
      HI Stan,
            That is interesting, and I take your point that stacking 100 millisecond exposures for DSO's captured with a standard CCD system is just adding noise(I have empirical evidence to support this;-).  I guess my question would be, if a 20 minute exposure with a standard CCD is equivalent to a stack of 100 ms exposures totaling 20 minutes, what is the motivation for doing the short exposures?  Is the benefit improved resolution due reduction of the influence of atmospheric instability?  I know that is a big issue for planet imaging, and why the planet cams are generally short exposure/high frame rate cameras.  I have/perhaps erroneously been under the impression that this was less of an issue for DSO imaging.  Just curious.

      Cheers!

      JMD
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic