74377Re: New to the Group!

  • deitzelj
    Aug 1, 2014
      Hi Stan,
           Thanks for your detailed reply. I appreciate your take on the frequency domain processing as applied to faint DSO's, it makes sense to me.

      As far as cameras go, I have several planet cams of various makes, a Nikon d200, a recently acquired cooled OSC camera,( which has condemned the east coast to at least 2 weeks of rain;-), and an analogue astrovideo camera.  Due to time constraints imposed by work and small children:-), my interests at this point are more toward capturing snapshots of the brighter DSO's when I do get out.  I am constantly looking to optimize my gear for quick setup so I can jump right into either visual or camera observing.  I think I have a pretty good handle on that at the moment.  At some point in the future, as I reach the limitations of what I can achieve with the gear I have, I will probably trend toward things like narrow band, and filter wheel imaging, etc.... Right now I am having fun just being a tourist.

       My approach to the hobby has been to take my time, learn different bits and then move on to something new. Too often I see people dive into things, get frustrated, and loose interest.  I am an advocate of achieving little victories each time I am out with the scope, like getting the scope to track the moon well the first time and snapping a picture through the EP with a phone.  This approach is  unlikely to produce an APOD, but it is something that you can point to and say " I did that, now how do I make it better".  Eventually, they add up.  I recognize a number of the members here from the AP group. The work you all do is just jaw dropping and fabulous, a great bar to challenge me.  In the mean time, if my little girl says, "Daddy that picture is cool", I am good.

       I am a bit of a scope collector, and I appreciate the history of a particular design as much as its performance, The lack of overlap is by design, but there is certainly space at the top(although I have not pointed that out yet to my wife;-).  In my career, I have done a lot with high speed imaging, microscopy of all stripes, as well as scattering and diffraction work, so the image processing and analysis is a place of overlap in my hobby and career.  Processing my astroimages is kind of like doing crosswords or knitting.  I am a little odd that way.

      Anyway, I will definitely check out CCDstack, and I look forward to interacting with you and others on the group. Now if only the rain would stop....

      Clear skies!

      JMD
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic