74375New to the Group!

  • deitzelj
    Jul 31 6:04 PM

      Hi All!

             My name is Joe and I recently joined this group as I have interest in learning more about astro Image processing.  I have been actively observing for about 10 years or so.  My scopes include an Orion 10 inch Dob, a Celestron C8 Edge, an Intes-Micro Alter M603, and a vintage A-P Starfire 127 mm refractor, pre-ED glass.  Mounts include an Orion Atlas, and a Losmandy GM8.  I have done a bit of solar system imaging and have diddled a bit with DSO's.  I am familiar with Photoshop, Nebulosity, and Registax and i am working my way through Ron's NewAstro Zone system for astro-imaging.  I have also been working with ImageJ(as part of my day job) since before it was a Java based program(known as NIH Image for Mac or Scion Image for PC of PCs;-)   As far as astrophotography goes, I am definitely a beginner, and look forward to learning more about this fascinating hobby.

      I am interested in learning more about all aspects of image processing, but I have specific interest in learning more about the application of frequency domain manipulation of images for noise reduction and fine detail enhancement(FFT filtering, Wavelet enhancement, etc...).  Like everyone else I have played around the the wavelet sliders in Registax, for example, but it is essentially a black box, and I would really like to get a better understanding of how and when filters of this type show be utilized.  I would also be interested in hearing people's perspective as to which of the current programs out there employs the best algorithms to carry out these types of operations.  Any suggestions for references etc.. would be most welcome (I am comfortable with Fourier mathematics).   I am sure as I progress through Ron's book, my questions will abound!  Thanks all in advance for your help and advice.

      Best regards!

      JMD

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic