74059Re: [ccd-newastro] Light Pollution filter as luminance?

    Apr 20, 2014
      You’re dealing with fundamental physics here. Signal and noise.

      Combining red, green, and blue images is going to be nearly the same as using a luminance filter - you will have about the same spectrum coming through either way. I don’t think there’s anything to be gained that way.

      If you want to use a light pollution filter, then success depends on whether or not it filters out the specific wavelengths that are a problem for you. On the one hand, you could attempt to study the wavelengths, but that’s a sophisticated effort. You can also buy one and try it, or borrow on from a friend.

      It’s tough to get good results from a light polluted area. You needs a LOT of signal to be able to clean up the unwanted signal. There’s no tricks or secrets. It just takes a lot of time on sky and developing the skills to get rid of that unwanted signal.

      Ron Wodaski

      On Apr 20, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:

      Now, where galaxy season is upon us, I have to put my narrowband filters aside for a little and try to improve my RGB imaging skills. I am imaging from near downtown San Jose, CA. Light pollution is pretty bad!

      My main struggle is with luminance - using a luminance filter is useless under these conditions.

      I tried to do RGB imaging only (all binned 1x1). With that, I get relatively good object data, but it's hard to get out details and to reduce background noise.

      I am trying right now to create a synthetic luminance image and use that - but so far with mixed results.

      I also took some Ha subs to be used as a luminace layer (and to boost the red signal) but their SNR is still pretty bad (low background noise, but also low signal).

      I wonder if it would be possible to use a light pollution filter to take a luminance image?

      Or any other methods that people use?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic