73946Nikon D610 First Light

  • ramastronomy
    Feb 10, 2014
      Hi! the weather finally cleared up and I was able to take my new Nikon D610 out for a first light test run. I had it coupled with an 80mm f5 cheap refractor. I set it to manual focus and used an infrared clicker to time the exposures (no laptop and cables hassle). Polar alignment wasn't great because I was itching to take the first photos.

      Please check out the 2 photos I posted at the link above. Test408 was taken with ISO400 and a 4 minute-exposure. Test410 was taken with ISO800 and a 2 minute-exposure. I was expecting both exposures to come out alike and the outcome is pretty close but I noticed that Test408 has a brighter SEPIA-like hue.

      Is this sepia-like hue the result of over-exposure? noise? reflected ambient light (there was a shade of high-level clouds, more like fog)? and finally, is it useful data in some sense ? I guess the question is, am I better off with higher ISO exposures at lower speeds or lower ISO exposures at higher speeds?

      one final note: I noticed that the photos (even the RAW files) are unidimensional in the sense that, when I tried to process them in Photoshop to bring out the hidden data, no additional features appeared. What you see in the original photo is what you get.

      This is my first venture using CMOS for astrophotography. I'm an ignorant newbie at this point. I opted for the Nikon D610 to get a full-frame FX sensor at an affordable price, even though many of my fellow astrophotographers, frowned at me. I was craving the high resolution and full-frame sensor and buying an 11000 is not an option for me. Please forgive any symptoms that betray intelligence that you may have detected in my message :)

      Any help or guidance will be immensely appreciated!

      R,

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic