73929Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Do Dark and Bias Frame patterns change as the camera gets older over time?

  • Tim Stone
    Feb 5, 2014
      Mike, I think your approach is close to ideal. Mine is a compromise for sure. It works for me...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Tim Stone

      On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:

      Mark Acker wrote:

      > I think most take darks no more than about every 6 months or so.

      I used to do that, and kept a library of darks. But I stopped when I
      found myself cooling the camera to temperatures that didn't match my
      "standard" camera temperatures (e.g., -15C, -20C, -25C). If I could
      reach, say, -18C in the camera, I wouldn't have a dark to match. So I'd
      set the camera to -15C, "wasting" any reduced noise that extra 3 degrees
      would have provided.

      This also applied to exposure times. A library of 10- or 15-minute darks
      isn't much help if I can make 17-minute light exposures one night.

      Instead, I began taking a set of 10-15 darks immediately after my target
      went behind the trees. I keep these darks with the light frames, and use
      them just for processing that target. I'm always assured of darks with
      the correct exposure and temperature.

      In short, I found maintaining a good dark library to be not worth the
      effort, especially when I started using ACP automation software, which
      will take my darks without any action on my part.

      Mike Dodd
      http://astronomy.mdodd.com
      Louisa County, Virginia USA N37.58.23 W77.56.24

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic