      From: rwright@...
      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:46:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [ccd-newastro] RE: image stacking for noise reduction: looking for a reference paper

      Incidentally, when astrophotography was done on film, rather than directly on CCD, was it common practice to scan the negatives and then stack the digital files?

      I don’t remember the reference (but sometimes “knowing” helps to know where to look), but actually THIS is how stacking got started. Photographers “stacked” negatives to increase the S/N although they didn’t call it that at the time. In digital parlance, that’s what it was, but the digital folks “stole” the idea from the photo folks, and that’s how the term “stacking” actually started, from “stacking” the negatives.

      Richard

      On Feb 5, 2014, at 1:01 PM, <d.malleo@...> <d.malleo@...> wrote:

      Thank you all for your responses.

      I will take a look at the book chapters you have suggested.

      Perhaps, I should have made clear that I'm not so much looking for elucidation on how stacking works, but rather I was interested in the scholarly "history" of the process.

      Somebody, some place, at some time, must have been the first to publish the technique - despite how obvious-sounding it might appear today - I was looking for that somebody.

      Incidentally, when astrophotography was done on film, rather than directly on CCD, was it common practice to scan the negatives and then stack the digital files?

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic