73489RE: Re: [ccd-newastro] Need Advice

  • davidfenster@rocketmail.com
    Oct 18, 2013

      Wow.  That is pretty impressive.  Looks like a hike up another learning curve is in my immediate future.  Was googling and found this guy from England named Harry who cleaned up a gradient in PI that was absolutely frightening.

      Thanks for doing that!

      Dave

      ---In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, <ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Got it. It took about 10 seconds to open PixInsight, run Dynamic Background Extraction (DBE, as it's affectionately known), and get the output linked below.

      It would have been smoother but it looks like the black level was reset at some point, so the dimmest green nastiness is on the noisy side, and did not fully clean up. If I did the entire processing in PI, I could control that and presumably get an even cleaner result. It's hard to clean up a noisy gradient; as odd as it sounds, you want to preserve the _unwanted_ data so you can remove it more accurately.

      The processing was to generate samples (10/row, the default), and set the correction method to subtraction.

      http://www.wodaski.com/wp-content/uploads/rw/after-PI-1.jpg

      Ron Wodaski

      On Oct 17, 2013, at 5:00 PM, davidfenster@... wrote:

      I sent one to support at newastro.  It's 3Mb zipped, so I hope it made it thru.  It is straight out of CCDStack.

      Dave

      ---In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, <ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Why don't we arrange for you to send me one of your master FITS luminance images? Or a master LRGB or RGB? I can run it through PI and see what I get. How big would such a file be ZIP'd?

      Ron Wodaski

      On Oct 16, 2013, at 11:07 PM, davidfenster@... wrote:

       I do.  CCDAP5 is by far the best sleep aide every invented!  Although, adding another layer of software makes things that much quirkier (if that's a word).  There is nothing like automated flats.  I cried a tear the first night the session ran to completion.

      Regarding gradients.  I have the trial version of RC Astro for photoshop.  I find it works quite well for linear and simple radial gradients.  But my data is the poster child for complex gradients.  I know pixinsight has some powerful (albeit time consuming) gradient removal tools.  Anyone have any experience with Pixinsights gradient removal tool?  I have CCDStack which does an awesome job of calibrating/aligning/data rejection, but it has no gradient tool (except flatten background - which for me runs the sky down to zero making my images look black clipped (well, they are) - or conversely raises the offending sky which reduces contrast.

      I know pixinsights GUI is a pain and is difficult to learn.  However, if it will help solve my gradient woes, I'll suck it up and spend the money and climb another learning curve.

      Thoughts from the group?

      Dave

      ---In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, <ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Maybe what you need is automation software so you don’t have to spend your own time gathering all the data required to look good at f/10. :-)

      Ron Wodaski

      On Oct 16, 2013, at 6:57 PM, davidfenster@... wrote:

      acquisition

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic