72289Re: My new thin lightbox

  • tpiccian
    Feb 2, 2013
      Sure. Here are teh components.

      1 - Sheet of Parallel format luminous film from www.luminousfilm.com. Sizes vary from simple 3x4 card size to 15 x 23. the film can be cut to form a square with no harm to the material. Buy the kit that comes with the inverter and 12 v. power supply.

      1 - Diffuser made from a sheet of 1/4 inch thick acrylic plastic from www.professionalplastics.com (model number 2447 milky white).

      1 - Backing board - made from a sheet of 1/8 inch plastic (any color) .

      a frame made from 1 inch or thicker wood made so the inner dimensions allow the film to fit completely inside.

      1 - Roll of plastic tape.

      Essentially you cut the luminous film to a square. Then you tape it to the underside of a piece of plastic.

      On the other side you mount your diffuser panel.

      I also installed a piece of black foam core board with a hole cut to the diameter of the dew shield. This masks any stray light so the unit can be used in the dark during star parties.

      BTW, when visiting the page, click on the words Flatfield Lightbox to view the comments. This is where I put the instructions.

      Facebook doesn't work well for posting as a web page. Timeline screws everything up.

      Feel free to ask any other questions.

      Tom P.

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" wrote:

      > Hi Tom,
      >
      > I have been wanting to make my own lightbox. Would you be willing to share some of the details of yours.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Randy
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "tpiccian" wrote:
      > >
      > > I finally got a chance to give a thorough test of my lightbox. I put the info on a separate facebook page.
      > >
      > > I tested the unit out and the illumination appears uniform. I can easily get 20,000 ADU with the know set to 9 o'clock, which is well above the minimum illumination mark.
      > >
      > > The link below should work even if you don't have a Facebook account.
      > >
      > > http://www.facebook.com/TomsAstronomyStuff#!/media/set/?set=a.135623359936695.30842.135612006604497&type=1
      > >

      > > If not, try http://www.facebook.com/tomsastronomystuff
      > >
      > > Enjoy,
      > >
      > > Tom Picciani.