72065Re: off-axis guider and filter wheel

  • brown_rb
    Dec 1, 2012
      I have had experience with the TS-OAG.
      Its true that it takes up 9mm.

      I have nothing against TS-optics and I have bought many many items from them. They do make some great stuff but there are major issues with the TS-OAG.

      Eventually after raising the following issues the dealer/manufacturer agreed to take it back.Inherently the design is in my opinion flawed for the following reasons.

      The screws holding the main adapters in place are small, thin and very fiddly. This means it is very difficult to get it rock solid, and hence it is prone to flexing, as was apparent in subs over time.

      Next, the main imaging adapter only has three positions that you can position it on, these three positions are spaced 120 degrees apart and fixed, hence one has often needs to rotate the entire adapter to frame the object correctly. If used with a Canon camera, there is only position as the screws used to tighten the adapter plate block mounting the camera in 2 of the three positions.

      Next, the pickoff prism only rotates a small amount, when combined with the above, framing the object and selecting a guide star is much more difficult than the orion or celestron off-axis guiders (which I also happen to have and use).

      The off-axis adapter is not strong enough to hold an imaging train with filter wheel etc. Its too hard to get it tight enough and hence you will notice flexure over time depending on the OTA position.

      Cheers
      Robert