67496Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Electric Focuser for a SkyWatcher 120mm BD ED refractor

  • spaceage1939@aol.com
    May 5, 2010
      Sorry to respond with another question instead of some answers, but I have
      an 80mm Meade refractor that I use mainly as a guide scope that sits on my
      Classic 10" SCT. I control the scope with Cartes Du Ciel. I use Meade's
      electric focuser. Just curious if there is an additional electric focuser that
      I can purchase that would control the focusing of the refractor thru my
      computer. I use the Meade DSI camera for guiding and my Atik hr16 for
      imaging, which I switch depending on the FOV I am imaging and which scope I use as
      the guide scope. It sure would be helpful to have the focusing of the
      refractor controlled thru the computer, as well. Any thoughts would be
      appreciated.

      Thanks.

      Art

      In a message dated 5/2/2010 10:15:46 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      plsherman@... writes:

      If you're just looking for a simple electric focuser; try the Orion
      Accufocus. If the supplied brackets don't match up with your focuser; you can
      easily make one from a 1" brass strip purchased at most hobby shops. The
      focuser comes with a 9v battery box controller than can be replaced with
      Shoestring Astronomy's FCUSB controller for full computer driven control.

      The only problem with this setup is that the Accufocus is a DC motor with
      a gear reduction setup driving your focuser. It does not have "absolute"
      (can be moved to exactly the same position) focusing capability and has a bit
      of backlash when changing direction. More expensive electric focusers
      usually have stepper motors or other measuring mechanisms to provide feedback on
      where the focuser is positioned.

      Phil

      --- In _ccd-newastro@ccd-newastroccd_ (mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com)
      , "astroman_1a" <terrarouge@ter> wrote:

      > Hello.I was wondering if anyone out there had a SW 120mm ED and an
      electric focuser attached to it that would run from the computer.Someone said
      that I could get one if Iput on another 10:1 focuser on the scope...I would
      like an electric focuser but That's not going to happen...Any ideas...Thanks
      and clear skies...Dave