67492Re: Electric Focuser for a SkyWatcher 120mm BD ED refractor

  • phils67
    May 2, 2010
      If you're just looking for a simple electric focuser; try the Orion Accufocus. If the supplied brackets don't match up with your focuser; you can easily make one from a 1" brass strip purchased at most hobby shops. The focuser comes with a 9v battery box controller than can be replaced with Shoestring Astronomy's FCUSB controller for full computer driven control.

      The only problem with this setup is that the Accufocus is a DC motor with a gear reduction setup driving your focuser. It does not have "absolute" (can be moved to exactly the same position) focusing capability and has a bit of backlash when changing direction. More expensive electric focusers usually have stepper motors or other measuring mechanisms to provide feedback on where the focuser is positioned.

      Phil

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astroman_1a" <terrarouge@...> wrote:

      > Hello.I was wondering if anyone out there had a SW 120mm ED and an electric focuser attached to it that would run from the computer.Someone said that I could get one if Iput on another 10:1 focuser on the scope...I would like an electric focuser but That's not going to happen...Any ideas...Thanks and clear skies...Dave

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic