66056Re: Sky Quality Meters

  • astrokattner
    Oct 4, 2009
      Hi Bill,

      The PoE outputs 5 volt. I think there is a 12 volt version too. The brand I use is Linksys and I bought it from Amazon. I have copied beloow a portion of a FAQ from the Unihedron website that explains it and gives you the model number.

      The fan in a heated video housing can come on when too hot and when too cold. Videotec makes both types. In the too cold situation, the fan comes on to circulate the heat and exchange the air so you don't get condensation. They call it a "fan assisted" heater. I think the all sky camera that SBIG makes, there is no fan, just heat. In my situation, I just needed the fan.

      Even with the fan, the temperatures have reached almost 150F inside my enclosure. SQM did fine all summer, although this is near the upper limit of its operating range, I believe.

      Best regards,

      Ken

      Here's the FAQ:

      How can I reduce the wiring to the SQM-LE?
      A PoE system can be used to transmit "Power Over the Ethernet" cable to the SQM-LE. A PoE system consists of two units:

      The PoE Injector puts power into an Ethernet cable.
      The PoE Splitter gets the power from the Ethernet cable.
      The PoE Injector would be located near the router, and the PoE splitter is located near the SQM-LE.

      The PoE soution is very handy if you do not have an electrical outlet near the SQM-LE. You can just run the Ethernet cable to the PoE Splitter then short wires come from the splitter to the SQM-LE.

      There are two models that we have tested successfully:
      DWL-P200 made by D-Link
      WAPPOE made by Linksys

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bil" <billsnyder51@...> wrote:

      > Ken
      > I was thinking of installing a Sky Meter also.
      > Does a PoE come in different voltage outputs? What voltage does the Sky Meter run on? Never heard of a PoE until today.(sounds like a good idea)
      > Also I am currently building a DSI All Sky Cam, and it was my understanding that the fan in a heated video housing, only comes on when the temperature outside is to hot.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Bill
      > BTW that Video housing look like it would work great.
      >

      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Keith,
      > >
      > > I posted some pics, see other posts. One thing to consider for the housing if you live in cold or wet environment. See if you can get a housing that is fan heated during cold spells. The heat will prevent condensation and fog on the camera housing window. I believe the all sky camera enclosures are heated as well. I used a housing from videotec.com. I used their cheapest, non heated version (since it is hot where I am); I added a PoE adapter so I would only need one cable and then I added some small 5volt computer fans to keep it cool.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps,
      > >
      > > Ken
      > >

      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith.myers@> wrote:

      > > > Rainer, to directly hookup a SQM-LE to a computer all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Either make you own or buy one at the store. If the meter is going to be integrated into an obsevatory where remote computers are already in place, there probably is already a ethrnet DHCP server connecting everything. Then all you need is a vacant port on the switch or router.
      > > >
      > > > I too would like to hear of users solution for weather proofing a SQM meter for remote or backyard observatories. Is it simply a matter of using the same solutions for all-sky cameras?
      > > >
      > > > Keith
      > > >

      > > > Keith

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic