66048Re: Sky Quality Meters

  • astrokattner
    Oct 3, 2009
      Keith,

      I posted some pics, see other posts. One thing to consider for the housing if you live in cold or wet environment. See if you can get a housing that is fan heated during cold spells. The heat will prevent condensation and fog on the camera housing window. I believe the all sky camera enclosures are heated as well. I used a housing from videotec.com. I used their cheapest, non heated version (since it is hot where I am); I added a PoE adapter so I would only need one cable and then I added some small 5volt computer fans to keep it cool.

      Hope this helps,

      Ken

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith.myers@...> wrote:

      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ET" <rsbfoto@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Ken,
      > >
      > > Nice to see you here :-) I am waiting for the delivery of one SQM-LE unit. How difficult is it to install the device via Ethernet cable ?
      > >
      > > How did you solve the enclosure problem in order to leave it outside all the time ?
      > >
      > > By the way I am still with the Losmandy G11 mounts :-)
      > >
      > > regards Rainer
      >
      > Rainer, to directly hookup a SQM-LE to a computer all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Either make you own or buy one at the store. If the meter is going to be integrated into an obsevatory where remote computers are already in place, there probably is already a ethrnet DHCP server connecting everything. Then all you need is a vacant port on the switch or router.
      >
      > I too would like to hear of users solution for weather proofing a SQM meter for remote or backyard observatories. Is it simply a matter of using the same solutions for all-sky cameras?
      >
      > Keith
      >

      > Keith

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic