66046Re: Sky Quality Meters

  • Rainer
    Oct 3, 2009
      Hi Chris,

      The SQM-LE when it is running produces itself some heat so if you want to use it only when the roof is open I would dare to say that you will not need an enclosure as the self produced heat will be more then enough to protect the circuit from getting humid,

      BUT, yes but DO NOT TURN IT OFF after closing your roff.

      Keep it running and so there is no chance of forming dew inside.

      If you run it and then when you close the roff you power it off the SQM-LE, the humidity content inside will be relatively higher then outside. (WARM AIR CAN CARRY MORE HUMIDITY THEN COLD AIR) When the SQM-LE then cools down you will get condensation inside !

      It is easy to make a test with the SQM-LE running while your roof is open. With the software you can monitor the temperature of the SQM-LE and if you also monitor your ambient temperature via a weatherstation you will surely also have the temperature of the dew point. In the moment the SQM-LE temperature does get the same as the Dew Point then you will start to be carefull. :-)

      regards Rainer

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher J Abissi" <cabissi@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Rainer.
      >

      > I will contact Anthony. I was wondering if it could tolerate being exposed
      > over a clear night of imaging despite dew formation or does it need to be
      > enclosed even for that. I only really care while the roof is open so I was
      > hoping to install in my roll-off observatory and use it for readings only
      > when the roof is open. If I need an enclosure, then it belongs outside with
      > the cloud and weather sensors when I get them all installed.
      >

      > Chris A.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic