64308Re: New to group - looking for help

  • Niall Saunders
    Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Mark,

      Using my LX90 Classic (8" SCT), I was always more than happy with the
      star shapes in unguided images of up to 90 seconds - pier-mounted, in
      an observatory, with non-permanent PEC and a customised Tracking Rate.

      Even then I would have to be prepared to 'throw-away' maybe 1 in 6
      exposures if I hit a 'bad patch' on the worm. And that was,
      obviously, using the LX90 tas the imaging OTA

      Using the LX90 as an autoguider for an ED80, I can run right up to 10
      minutes with NO lost frames whatsoever (unless caused by other than
      tracking errors). And that is with NO PEC or TR corrections, just 2-
      second guide exposures on the 8"SCT at full f/10.

      I may even be able to go 'longer' than 10 minutes - I just have not had the patience to try !!

      Cheers, and a Happy New Year from Cloudy Scotland

      Niall Saunders
      Clinterty Observatories
      Aberdeen, SCOTLAND

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mark de Regt" <deregt@...>
      wrote:

      > > Finally, you should be able to image without any guiding for 60 -
      120
      > > seconds.
      >
      > I have a very fine example of the LX200. I think I got pretty
      decent
      > results when imaging with that scope, both with and without the AO-
      7. But
      > there's no way that I could get decent results, unguided, with 60
      second
      > images. If my guide interval was more than one second, I could see
      the
      > degradation.
      >
      > I suppose that "able to image without any guiding" punts on the
      question of
      > what kind of results are acceptable. For me, guiding, with
      relatively short
      > guide intervals, was an absolute necessity for getting decent
      results with
      > my LX200.
      >
      > --Mark de Regt
      > http://www.de-regt.com/Astronomy