64041Re: [ccd-newastro] Which software supports WCS insertion into 32bit FITS

  • Jim Cadien
    Dec 3, 2008
      Gert,
      I use sextractor and imwcs all the time, in an automated fashion for
      my drift scan images.
      Both work really well. If you have a fairly good idea of the wcs, the
      imwcs works great. It requires
      an external catalogue, such as USNO, and will go out and get the
      appropriate section from an
      internet source. I have it on my computer which makes it much faster.

      Good luck,
      Jim

      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:35 AM, drgert1 <drgert1@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > For a mosaic project I need to automatically insert plate coordinates
      > (and preferrably some polynomial distortion coefficients) into the
      > fits header of my pre processed and stacked sub frames. The sub frames
      > are produced by CCDStack and are in 32bit FITS format to preserve data
      > accuracy.
      > So far the following attempts have failed.
      >
      > 1. CCDStack has no feature for astrometry and WCS insertion.
      >
      > 2. Astrometrica. Reads 32bit FITS, does a nice job in star matching
      > but output FITS is truncated to 16bit
      >
      > 3. CCDSoft. Fails to read 32bit FITS from CCDStack.
      >
      > 4. AstroArt4. No automated reference star matching.
      >
      > Not tried yet:
      > SExtractor & imWCS from WCSTools (Linux)
      >
      > What experience do others in the field have?
      >
      > Thanks & Clear Skies,
      > Gert

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic