63568Re: PS CS3 and CS3 Extended

  • ralldredge2001
    Oct 1, 2008
      To put your mind at ease, I have CS3 normal edition and it does have smart filters
      although they haven't found their way strongly into my processing. I agree with the earlier
      post that the extended version seems to contain things I wouldn't likely need like video
      processing and the mentioned 3-D rendering.

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@...> wrote:

      > Kevin,
      > Thanks for the report. So you believe Smart Filters are in the non
      > extended version? From what I could read (which was not all that
      > much) you had to get the extended version to get Smart Filters.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Nelson" <knelson@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It doesn't look to me like Photoshop CS4 Extended is worth the extra
      > > price over regular CS4 for most astronomical image processing.
      > >
      > > I'm still running CS2 but am looking forward to upgrading to CS4.
      > The
      > > main additions in CS4 Extended have to do with painting and
      > modifying
      > > 3D objects. There are some other nice features if you collect data
      > in
      > > Matlab.
      > >
      > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/
      > >
      > > The regular version of CS4 does have some significant upgrades over
      > > CS3. What I'm most excited about is the expanded use of
      > > non-destructive adjustment layers with the Adjustments panel and
      > Smart
      > > Filters. It has other new features that could prove interesting,
      > such
      > > as spherical alignment, better use of memory on 64-bit systems, and
      > > something called "High-resolution web display" that integrates with
      > > Flash to create zoomable images.
      > >
      > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/features/
      > >
      > > I suspect more useful features will be found as we all begin to
      > > explore CS4.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Kevin
      > >
      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have asked this question on other sites but without any
      > response so
      > > > far.
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone explain whether the extended version of PS C3 has any
      > > > advantages for use with astro photos? The one item I can see in
      > the
      > > > literature is Smart Filters which are evidently only in the
      > Extended
      > > > version. There is a significant difference between the regular
      > version
      > > > upgrade and for the Extended version upgrade. I am getting ready
      > > > preorder CS4 which is due out in early November and did to decide
      > if
      > > > CS4 or CS4 Extended is the way to go.
      > > >
      > > > Larry

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic