63285Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: CCD SBIG STL-11000M vs Apogee Alta U16M

  • AVRYAuN@aol.com
    Sep 1, 2008
      Thanks alot, Stu. I'm gonna try to go to SBIG and personally see and have
      them explain their full line to me. Some have enjoyed the Apogee as a better
      camera, but seems to have some performance problems. The SBIG seems to be
      getting overall favorable reviews from other posts.
      Avery Golden

      In a message dated 9/1/2008 1:59:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      SHFORSTER1@... writes:

      Avery,

      If you can wait for your camera, SBIG has a new line of USB 2
      cameras, the STX series on the way.

      I love SBIG cameras, I have 5, but the 26 second downloads on my STL
      11000, with USB 1 are painful.

      Wait for the new cameras with the better cooling from SBIG.

      STU

      --- In _ccd-newastro@ccd-newastroccd_ (mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com) ,
      AVRYAuN@... wrote:

      > I've heard this before that the Apogee's often need repairs, though
      some
      > think it's a better Astro camera. But, SBIG is said, like you say,
      to be more
      > dependable. Probably the better value....... dep
      > Thanks alot,
      > Avery Golden
      >

      > In a message dated 9/1/2008 11:01:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > mford@... writes:
      >

      > As far as workmanship, I would go with the SBIG. Some buddies of
      mine had
      > ordered several Apogees and all had to go back to be repaired. I
      know that
      > SBIG has been around for a long time and takes care of their
      customers. Just
      > my two cents.
      >
      > Quoting AVRYAuN <_AVRYAuN@.._AVRYAuN@..<WBR>._ _AVRY>:
      >
      > > New to group and am going to build my own observatory. I have a
      Meade
      > > LX-200 16" and a Takahashi TAO-130. I'm going to start getting
      into
      > > astrophotography and have a couple of questions:
      > >
      > > 1. If it was not about the money, I may be looking at the SBIG
      STL-
      > > 11000M ccd camera or the Apogee Alta U16M (not considering FLI
      at this
      > > moment). Which, in your opinion, offers the best color deep-sky
      > > photography. Which gives the best "bang for your buck?"
      > >
      > > 2. I'm gonna need a permanent, fixed mount for my T-130, maybe
      one day
      > > step up to a T-150. Any idea whose pier would work best with the
      TAK?

      > > Thank you,
      > > Avery Golden
      > > L.A.