63053RE: [ccd-newastro] Re: Processing Dilemma

  • Wodaski - Yahoo
    Aug 1, 2008
      It took forever to download, but I think the answer is pretty simple: you
      have an image with some issues (vignetting; gradients; severe color bias;
      light pollution). It's not reasonable to expect automatic tools to handle
      that kind of stuff gracefully. You can also do some damage on your own by
      not being very careful with what you do. This is the kind of image I would
      easily spend an hour on cleaning up, and I have a fair amount of experience.
      So that translates into "pretty challenging to process."

      I would back off of the automatic stuff, and focus on carefully learning to
      manipulate the image. First thing is to clean up the color bias - gradient
      removal tools can be badly fooled. And in this case, with so much background
      nebulosity, it's probably not going to work to use automated gradient
      removal because the tool requires a background to analyze to figure out what
      the gradients are.

      Flats would be a huge help in this case. You'll still be left to deal with
      the bright background, but you won't have to fight so hard with the
      vignetting gradients; the flats will take that out.

      I could teach a 2- or 3-day course with all the lessons there are to be
      learned from processing this image. <G>