60781Re: [ccd-newastro] focusing dslr

  • Bill Logan
    Jan 1, 2008
      Ron et al,

      I must agree that MaxImDL is probably the premier software for imaging, but
      for most amateurs starting out in DSLR imaging, is a bit on the expensive
      side. Currently, I use CCDSoft for capturing that came with my ST-7XMED and
      AIP4WIN2.0 for processing. For many years however, I used Stark-Labs
      Nebulosity for capture and processing software with my Canon EOS Rebel XT
      (350D). I highly recommend this software for beginners for several reasons.
      It's inexpensive ($45) along with a free download to try it
      (www.stark-labs.com) and it's very simple to use. The focus and fine focus
      features are excellent for any DSLR or CCD camera. Not only does it give
      one a pixel reading of a selected star, but there's an FWHM graphical
      display. Nebulosity supports all Canon DIGIC II processors which is the
      Rebel XTi (400D), but will need a Shoestring shutter control adapter for
      exposures over 30 seconds. In my Nebulosity group, link below, one will
      find a nice tutorial specifically written for Canon-Nebulosity users. I
      highly recommend this software because of the price and ease of use until
      they have gained enough experience imaging to upgrade to the ultimate
      MaxImDL or any other high end capture and processing program

      Clear skies,

      Bill Logan
      Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory
      Eagar, Arizona