60460Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Help with computer

  • Robert Marceau
    Dec 3, 2007
      Wow Roger! I must have been going by statements about XP that refered to
      what is available to apps. I've never had workstatino hardware that
      supported more than 2GB so have never put it to the test.

      Someone mentioned not having heard of a demo version of Vista. MS sort of
      has one.

      Visit
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx to
      get a free copy of Virtual PC 2007.

      From there, the Test Drive Program link takes you to
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/bb738372.aspx which has a 30 day trial of
      Vista running under Virtual PC.

      Rob

      On 12/2/07, Roger Hamlett <roger@...> wrote:
      (snip)

      The 32bit versions of Vista, and XP, can both directly _address_ 4GB.
      > However,out of this address space has to come a whole lot of stuff.
      > Spaces for the BIOS, the video card BIOS, a huge window for the video,
      > even when it is not shared, areas for network adapters, etc. etc..
      > It is typical to lose about 256MB, on systems designed to keep the loss
      > small. On normal systems 300MB, to 768MB is 'typical' (the latter in
      > particular on systems supporting double video cards...).

      (snip)