54013Re: Is a backyard observatory worth it?

  • Randy Nulman
    Sep 1, 2006
      Gordon,
      That's a very impressive setup! I can't see any way that a HOA
      would have a problem with something done as nicely as this...

      Randy Nulman
      http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mandellgl" <gmandell@...>
      wrote:

      > Friends:
      >
      > Even though my suburban skys are at best mag 4.5, I'm glad that I
      > have a "backyard" (its really 10' off the ground on an extension
      of
      > my back deck) observatory.
      >
      > I also had to deal with my neighborhood community association. My
      > solution was to put a wooden lattice enclosure around the Tele-
      > Station that matches the deck. Most people in the neighborhood
      think
      > there's a hot tub behind the enclosure.
      >
      > He is a picture of my observatory during the Winter.
      >
      > http://mandellgl.smugmug.com/gallery/858342/1/38685978
      >
      > Gordon Mandell
      > Pittsburgh, USA
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Speaking as someone who set up a C14 on a Paramount mount out in
      my
      > > front yard for three years (!!!), and now has an observatory, I
      can
      > say
      > > that I vastly prefer the observatory. <G>
      > >
      > > I would go so far as to say if you image at all, it's worth
      > considering
      > > an observatory just to avoid the hassles of setting up and
      tearing
      > down
      > > - even if your setup isn't as heavy as mine was.
      > >
      > > In your case, a roll-off observatory would probably work well
      with
      > the
      > > HOA rules. It can be made to look quite ordinary and need not be
      > very large.
      > >
      > > Ten years is a lot of setting up and taking down.
      > >
      > > Ron Wodaski
      > >
      > > eja24601 wrote:
      > > > Greetings all,
      > > >
      > > > We had an unusual spell of five clear nights a row where we
      live.
      > > > Over those five nights, I only managed to go out imaging over
      one
      > of
      > > > those nights. Since it was a weeknight, I was not out very
      late.

      > > > I set up and tear down each session, which is one of the
      various
      > > > reasons why I'm not out shooting every clear night.
      > > >
      > > > My wife has given the green light for us to at least explore
      the
      > > > possibility of building us a backyard observatory. The biggest
      > > > advantage this would give would be that on nights like last
      week
      > > > can pretty much just open the roof and start shooting.
      > > >
      > > > There are a lot of challenges in the way of this becoming a
      > reality
      > > > for us (HOA rules, though I believe they have been amended to
      > allow
      > > > an external building within certain guidelines, etc.). One
      that
      > I'm
      > > > somewhat concerned about is light pollution.

> [...]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic